New AR28Bxi speakers--Awesome

I bought a pair of AR28Bxi speakers at a yard sale and had them refurbished by Bill at Millersound in Lansdale, PA--a real artisan. He really went to town..dampening, crossovers, foam surrounds. They sound completely awesome. Here's a copy of my original post--any responses still welcome:

Hi folks, I just acquired a pair of AR 28BXi speakers at a yard sale. I haven't tried to play them and the foam around the woofers is pretty crackly, so I imagine they should be refoamed. The wooden cabinets are in beautiful shape and I have the original boxes (it looks like they were sold in 1986) and metal speakers stands. I'm not an audiophile or an expert in gear, but I am excited about possibly having them refurbished for use in my basement playroom/workroom if it's worth it. Below are some very general questions:

1. Can anyone give me an idea as to the quality of this model of speaker; whether it is still desirable; how it stacks up in the grand scheme of the world of AR speakers? Also, as a measure, how would they compare in quality and reputation to my other pair (from college days), which are The Advent/1?

2. What's the recommended approach for refoaming the woofers--I'm inclined to take them to a local shop or send them to a mail order place. Is it posible to upgrade the speakers when getting them refoamed? Are there any things I should be wary of at this point?

3. How about the tweeters on this model--what's the reputation, etc. Do they typically need to be serviced/replaced?

4. Finally, are there any other thinbgs I should think about along the lines of refurbishing these?

Thanks in advance for considering my very open ended questions, Mike

>1. Can anyone give me an idea as to the quality of this

>model of speaker; whether it is still desirable; how it

>stacks up in the grand scheme of the world of AR speakers?

>Also, as a measure, how would they compare in quality and

>reputation to my other pair (from college days), which are

>The Advent/1?

THe AR28BXi was the second or third year of the 58/48/38/28/18/8 series. Depending on when, it was the largest or second largest 2 way in the line up. Very near the bottom of the line.

>2. What's the recommended approach for refoaming the

>woofers--I'm inclined to take them to a local shop or send

>them to a mail order place. Is it posible to upgrade the

>speakers when getting them refoamed? Are there any things I

>should be wary of at this point?

>

>3. How about the tweeters on this model--what's the

>reputation, etc. Do they typically need to be

>serviced/replaced?

Tweeters should be good unless played too loud with too little power.

>4. Finally, are there any other thinbgs I should think about

>along the lines of refurbishing these?

>

>Thanks in advance for considering my very open ended

>questions, Mike

Having a suitable amplifier to drive them, an Adcom 535 or 545 are well matched to these speakers.

Nigel

Archived