AR 4X Tweeter Problem

Charles218

My son and I are working on several pairs of AR Speakers and we are having problems with the tweeter on one of the 4X's. We have twice cleaned the pot, using a Dremel and Deoxit until it looks clean and shiny, and yet the tweeter still works intermittently. I have found that I can push, not turn, the level control in and hold it there and the tweeter works. As soon as I let go it stops working. There is just enough play in the level control to allow me to push it, something like 1/8 of an inch. Any suggestions on what could be the underlying problem? I've only come up with the thought that the springy plate that rotates against the spring in the pot may need to be bent to make a stronger contact.

Charles

There is just enough play in the level control to allow me to push it, something like 1/8 of an inch. Any suggestions on what could be the underlying problem? I've only come up with the thought that the springy plate that rotates against the spring in the pot may need to be bent to make a stronger contact.

There should definitely not be that much play in the level control. Try bending the contact, but be very gentle because it's thin and old.

There should definitely not be that much play in the level control. Try bending the contact, but be very gentle because it's thin and old.

Gene,

I may give that a try, however when I had it apart for cleaning I was a little nervous about unsnapping it from the piece that it is attached to. It really does look and feel fragile. I think that I will give it a couple of days and see if anyone else chimes in with other suggestions.

Thanks!

Charles

I was a little nervous about unsnapping it from the piece that it is attached to.

??? Usually, it falls free! It might be stuck. It is made from phosphor bronze and is rather springy; bend its tips toward their contacting surfaces. Yours may have been over heated, causing it to loose shape and adhere to the plastic insert. The wiper will not make good electrical contact without sufficent spring tension (and clean tips).

Cheers,

John

How bout a closeup? Here is a set taken apart for cleaning.

post-101828-1249099887.jpg

If yours are shot, you can replace them with L-pads from PartsExpress or Madisound, or I have some Ohmite pots for sale but they are a pain--the backs are open and you have to fabricate some sort of shield to keep the fiberglass out. L-pads work great and never corrode.

Good luck

Kent

• 1 year later...

How bout a closeup? Here is a set taken apart for cleaning.

post-101828-1249099887.jpg

If yours are shot, you can replace them with L-pads from PartsExpress or Madisound, or I have some Ohmite pots for sale but they are a pain--the backs are open and you have to fabricate some sort of shield to keep the fiberglass out. L-pads work great and never corrode.

Good luck

Kent

My first post.

Hello Kent, Many Thanks to you and everyone here!

With information I gathered here (and at audiokarma) I was able to rehab a pair of AR-4x's. It has been a very satisfying experience... and I'm now working on a pair of AR-2ax's.

Are you still selling some Ohmite pots? If so, I am very interested in buying them.

My first post.

Hello Kent, Many Thanks to you and everyone here!

With information I gathered here (and at audiokarma) I was able to rehab a pair of AR-4x's. It has been a very satisfying experience... and I'm now working on a pair of AR-2ax's.

Are you still selling some Ohmite pots? If so, I am very interested in buying them.

I may only have 2 left. Will check. I highly recommend L-pads in the AR 2ax and others.

Kent

I may only have 2 left. Will check. I highly recommend L-pads in the AR 2ax and others.

Kent

Thanks Kent.

When I rehabed my 4x's, I was unable to bring the original pots back to life. While researching an answer to the problem, I stumbled across a pair of Ohmites on eb@y. Long story - short... I fit them in... shielded them from the fiberglass... and they are really working great.

Now, while working on my 2ax's, I can only get the original pots to work intermittently. I know the Ohmites are not easy to work with... but I'm so happy with the way the 4x's turned out that I am determined to make them work in this pair as well.

Thanks again for helping to make this site such a wonderful resource.

Mot

Archived