Canadian Woofer Restoration

johnieo

Does anyone know a competent refoamer in Southern British Columbia? (perhaps "Southern BC" is redundant ...) Need to refoam the Phillips pair shown in "Other spkrs."

Cheers, John

Hello John,

Since these are "LCD" speakers, it is questionable if it is worth the money to fix the woofer. Of course, if the owner really likes them, sure. Otherwise, there are many $100/pr alternatives that will perform as well. Alternative, almost any woofer that fits in the box is likely to have a fair chance of doing as well as the original. (The double-L gives it away.)

-k

PS- just a wild guess... did the owner get these from a military PX, or during an R&R weekend in Hong Kong? Or from the dreaded Black Helico.... I mean White Van?

Does anyone know a competent refoamer in Southern British Columbia? (perhaps "Southern BC" is redundant ...) Need to refoam the Phillips pair shown in "Other spkrs."

Cheers, John

Hey, here's a pair of these on Ebay! So, I guess they are bona fide after all, provided that the "Philips" is spelled with only one "L"...

http://cgi.ebay.com.my/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi...em=350213112898

That dome tweeter had a very good reputation, so perhaps it is worth trying to repair the woofers.

-k

Hey, here's a pair of these on Ebay! So, I guess they are bona fide after all, provided that the "Philips" is spelled with only one "L"...

http://cgi.ebay.com.my/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi...em=350213112898

That dome tweeter had a very good reputation, so perhaps it is worth trying to repair the woofers.

-k

Those drivers bring back memories.

The tweeter was the first dome tweeter to show up in the McGee Radio catalog as far as I can remember.

It was the first dome tweeter that I ever bought around 1972 or so.

I later used that mid in a 4 way that I designed around 1977 or 78.

The plastic flange on the mid causes some strange upper midrange issues, notching as I recall.

I removed it and made a new flange.

Thanks Ken:

The pair on sale is a model SP-40/l and the units in question are SP/40; probably little difference. Notice they only fetched $75 USD.

A southwestern BC audio shop wants $65 CDN each! plus shipping to refoam the woofers. I can do it state side for half that. I am considering sending my friend a pair of cloth-surround AR-4x and suggesting he relegate his Philips to the dust bin. At his age, I think the 4x will serve him well.

Cheers

John

Thanks Ken:

The pair on sale is a model SP-40/l and the units in question are SP/40; probably little difference. Notice they only fetched $75 USD.

A southwestern BC audio shop wants $65 CDN each! plus shipping to refoam the woofers. I can do it state side for half that. I am considering sending my friend a pair of cloth-surround AR-4x and suggesting he relegate his Philips to the dust bin. At his age, I think the 4x will serve him well.

Cheers

John

John,

How about buying the second pair? Between the four of them, you could probably get one perfect pair working quickly, then use it as a reference to submit tje second pair to abominable midnight experiments designed to restore it to life....

-k

Guest mrspike

Cheers, John

Hi John

If you are in the lower mainland, Speaker City has been in business for many years. They are near Granville Island. I was going to have them refoam and cap my Advents. Their labour rates were a little high for me though so I'm going to give it a go myself.

Good luck

Archived