Allison Effect?

kkantor

I want to point out that the term "Allison Effect" has been misused several times in recent posts here. The "Allison Effect" is well-known in the history of science, having originated in 1927, and has nothing to do with audio. It refers to a well-known, widely taught case of pathological science.

http://www.cs.princeton.edu/~ken/Langmuir/langB.htm

There are countless papers and references to it in the literature. As a result, audio uses relating to boundary reflections are NOT called the "Allison Effect" by professionals in the field. Continued references to Roy's great work using this term is pure revisionism, is unhelpful and is confusing to new readers just learning about this stuff. I know the audio effect was called the "Allison Effect" one or two times over the years in laxly edited hobbyist mags, but they, too, have been noted to be erroneous by informed sources.

I suggest that continued use of the term, either via oversight, or in an attempt to somehow legitimize the improper usage, is very ill-advised. How about calling it, "The Allison Boundary Effect" or "The boundary interference phenomena described by Allison."?

-k

Archived