AR6 bass/midrange question

mike tarelli

Hello from the UK. Hope this works as it is my first post. Recently aquired very battered pair of European version AR6 with 3-way switch. From the date on the tweeters they must be from 1974. One has serial number 010084. The other number is missing but very similar. However the bass units have been replaced with AR units 2000370 5618142 which dates them as 1981. As I hope to re-foam these and have the cabinets re-veneered, my question is this. Why do these bass units have a capacitor and a resistor wired in parallel across the terminals and do I leave them there? Hope this is not a silly question. Thank-you,

Mike.

Hello from the UK. Hope this works as it is my first post. Recently aquired very battered pair of European version AR6 with 3-way switch. From the date on the tweeters they must be from 1974. One has serial number 010084. The other number is missing but very similar. However the bass units have been replaced with AR units 2000370 5618142 which dates them as 1981. As I hope to re-foam these and have the cabinets re-veneered, my question is this. Why do these bass units have a capacitor and a resistor wired in parallel across the terminals and do I leave them there? Hope this is not a silly question. Thank-you,

Couldn't say why they are there compared to earlier AR-6's that don't have them, but the schematics we've seen of the units with 3-position switch indicate that they are original. I'd leave them there.

Couldn't say why they are there compared to earlier AR-6's that don't have them, but the schematics we've seen of the units with 3-position switch indicate that they are original. I'd leave them there.

I looked for a schematic but couldn't find one. Your answer explains a lot and I'll do as you suggest. Thanks, Mike.

Mike.

Hi Mike

Look in this thread, there has been a total of three different cross-over designs in the AR-6, the three way switch was one of them:

http://www.classicspeakerpages.net/IP.Boar...?showtopic=1687

BRgds Klaus

Hi Mike

Look in this thread, there has been a total of three different cross-over designs in the AR-6, the three way switch was one of them:

http://www.classicspeakerpages.net/IP.Boar...?showtopic=1687

BRgds Klaus

Hello Klaus

Thanks for taking the trouble to look this up. My problem with a search is that the older topics only display the original text and nothing else. I have to rely on the "final post "when what I need are the posts between them. It could very well reflect my computer skills!

However it appears that the 3-way switch would effect the woofer without the capacitor and resistor.Thanks again.Mike

My problem with a search is that the older topics only display the original text and nothing else.

Hello Mike,

Try clicking on the 'Options' button (top right corner, below 'Help'), and from the drop-down menu, under 'Display Modes', choose 'Standard' or 'Linear Plus'—all the posts (page by page) should then be revealed.

Hope that helps.

Robert_S

Hello Mike,

Try clicking on the 'Options' button (top right corner, below 'Help'), and from the drop-down menu, under 'Display Modes', choose 'Standard' or 'Linear Plus'—all the posts (page by page) should then be revealed.

Hope that helps.

Robert_S

Robert, that's brilliant! Works perfectly! Thanks very much, Mike.

Archived