AR-2

ninohernes

Hello,

I have a pair of AR-2 Loudspeakers. I am the third owner of these speakers. They were my Grandfathers, he passed them down to my father and then my father gave them to me. They still look and sound new. Only one problem. On one of the woffers, the dust cap came off. It now sits between the grille cloth and the speaker cone. How would I attempt to remove the grilles so that I can retreive the dust cap? I know they do not come off anything like my AR-3s! Any ideas would be nice!

>Hello,

> I have a pair of AR-2 Loudspeakers. I am the third

>owner of these speakers. They were my Grandfathers, he

>passed them down to my father and then my father gave them

>to me. They still look and sound new. Only one problem. On

>one of the woffers, the dust cap came off. It now sits

>between the grille cloth and the speaker cone. How would I

>attempt to remove the grilles so that I can retreive the

>dust cap? I know they do not come off anything like my

>AR-3s! Any ideas would be nice!

The old "factory" way to do this was to take a knife and slit the grill cloth, pull it away and wedge out the grill panel! This was great when you had a brand-new factory-fresh grill frame and grill cloth ready to be re-installed. That was then; this is now.

The grill panel on the AR-2 was glued down and stapled to the front panel. Therefore, you must carefully locate each staple (usually the staple was the same color approximately as the grill material, so they can be hard to locate), carefully pry up and remove (with needle-nose pliers) each and every staple. Then you can take a putty knife or screwdriver and carefully go around the outside edge of the panel -- being very careful not to damage the molding -- and eventually, with patience, the grill panel will lift off. The glue that was used back in the late 50s has likely become brittle by now, and does not hold as well (the glue for the grill panel was related to the glue that held on the dust cap, which apparently let go), and you can usually pry off the grill panel. Just be patient.

Once you find the woofer dust cap, use a very light application of Elmer's glue or Carpenters' Glue or the like to re-attach the cloth dust cover to the woofer. Don't add weight if you can avoid it.

Your AR-2's have a lot of family heritage, and it goes without saying that you should always keep them in your family. There can't be many people who can claim to have hand-me-down AR speakers from a grandfather down to the grandson. One thing is for sure, you should take very good care of them, and make sure they are kept in top-notch, original condition! I have my dad's AR-3a's and AR-6's, but it doesn't go back farther than that.

--Tom Tyson

Archived