Best wall lining for reflected sound

Guest samiam

Guest samiam

I'm renovating my house and have the option of relining the walls behind my 901's with anything I like. The question is what? Drywall, plywood, softboard? Tell me your thoughts.

A second question is these speakers will be hung, but this is a two storey house, Id quite like to hang them with something as acoustically isolating as possible. Thoughts again please.

By the way thanks for the interesting discussion on the internals of the equalizer from my previous topic, a mine of info! I didn't end up getting those 110v 901's, but I do have a set of 240v series 2's and it appears that it would be well worth my while hot-rodding that equalizer anyway.

I'm renovating my house and have the option of relining the walls behind my 901's with anything I like. The question is what? Drywall, plywood, softboard? Tell me your thoughts.

A second question is these speakers will be hung, but this is a two storey house, Id quite like to hang them with something as acoustically isolating as possible. Thoughts again please.

By the way thanks for the interesting discussion on the internals of the equalizer from my previous topic, a mine of info! I didn't end up getting those 110v 901's, but I do have a set of 240v series 2's and it appears that it would be well worth my while hot-rodding that equalizer anyway.

IMO, glass is best. It is extremely hard and reflective. Sheetrock much less so. There will be the least absorption of reflected sound especially at high frequencies compared to other materials. It is still not sufficient though to overcome Bose 901's lack of extreme treble output, at least that's my opinion. If you use glass, be certain it is supported with something strong and stiff behind it like 5/8" sheetrock or better yet, 5/8" plywood.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest samiam

IMO, glass is best.

Hey I stumbled upon my owners manual the other day and it specifically does NOT recommend glass. I do understand what you are saying Soundmind, but to achieve what you are after wouldn't the glass have to be very thick to stop it vibrating (a la window glass). My current thought is to go for plywood with a hardwood surface veneer.

You can mount the glass whether it is a mirror or opaque or whatever transparency on plywood backing to stiffen it. My room has glass window walls from about 18 inches up. Below that is sheetrock and painted wood molding. The glass is double paned gas filled Anderson windows. I've had good luck with that and the windows haven't rattled so far even with loud bass heavy music. If you read my other postings, you'll see that I've had to make considerable changes to the treble anyway.

Archived