the sound that still fascinates

Guest crusty

Guest crusty

I've been a dyed in the wool Advent fan since that very first day I brought home my first brand new stereo system in 1971. After saving for almost a year I was able to purchase a "on special" system at a stereo shop in the city where I grew up. It consisted of a Marantz 2230 receiver, a pair of Smaller Advent speakers and a AR turntable with a Shure M91ed cartridge. To me at the time this was surely a state of the art system. I spent hours listening to my favorite albums, such as Fleetwood Mac's Kiln House or one of my many Moody Blues albums. We had one FM station that played only classical music excempt for in the evenings between 5pm and their sign off time of 12am. During this time they would play all the popular new rock from Led Zeppelin, Ten Years After or Jefferson Airplane and so many other great bands of the era. I will never forget the magic that first stereo system produced and the "you are there" illusion it gave me and my occasional visitors.

Today I have as always a truly fine audio system in our family room, I can't imagine not having one. The amplifier is 10 times more powerful then that old Marantz and the speakers 10 times more dynamic and realistic then the old Advents. But sometimes I just can't resist relaxing in my workshop where I still have that old pair of Smaller Advents, a respectable but ancient receiver and reliving the old days and the magic those little Advents produced.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

out of curiousity what is your newer set up?

i love my advent ones so much, and somehow cant imagine speakers 10 times better then them.. true they miss some detail, but there still one of my fav speakers of all time.

and i love my marantz, but nad stuff will take it out as far as detail and dynamics anyday..

still tis one of my favorite amps ever..

i dont know i just still think my advents are the best set of speakers i have and better then most less then 3000$ sets i have heard.

Archived