The First KLH speakers

Andy

Anyone own any of the earliest models - One, Two, Three, or the first model Five high frequency unit designed to go with the first three models ?

Love to see some good photos of any of these. Production must have been in the low thousands I've never seen any of them at flea markets or audio shows.

I know they were expensive and KLH was an unknown company in 1957, early 1958.

Some day I'd like to have a Model One with a very low serial number.......maybe less then 50 or 100. Just when I thought I had all the KLH speakers I wanted, I find a way to desire more !

Andy

Guest FastEddie
Anyone own any of the earliest models - One, Two, Three, or the first model Five high frequency unit designed to go with the first three models ?

Love to see some good photos of any of these. Production must have been in the low thousands I've never seen any of them at flea markets or audio shows.

I know they were expensive and KLH was an unknown company in 1957, early 1958.

Some day I'd like to have a Model One with a very low serial number.......maybe less then 50 or 100. Just when I thought I had all the KLH speakers I wanted, I find a way to desire more !

Andy

I have some Model Five's I just bought and am restoring. I think they are pretty early, but I don't know what to look for in terms of the high frequency unit you are talking about. If you clue me in on what you need to see I can snap some pics.

- Ed

Ed, I'm referring to the first model 5 from 1958, not the three way 4 driver unit from the late 1960's. The first model 5 was a direct radiator high frequency speaker designed to go with models 1, 2 and 3 which were woofer only speakers. It's cabinet was 7 x 23 x 6 inches in size. It's pretty rare, I think only about 500 to 1000 were produced. In fact any of the first five models are rarely seen.

The well known model 5 which sounds like the one you have and the model 12 are the only speakers that used an out of sequence model number(Never understood why KLH did this). At KLH, when a new model was introduced, it was given the next number - first came 1, then 2, followed by 3 and so on all the way up to the model 50,51,52 etc. in the mid 1970s.

Andy

Archived