new to the group and....

Guest gatorvrx

Guest gatorvrx

Just wanted to introduce myself, new to the group from Phoeniz, AZ. Also wanted to say I just picked up a pair of nice condition 17's, but hooked them up to an Onkyo 4500 MK II that is running my large advents, and must say they sound like mud. I've already re-sealed the driver surrounds, so rebuilding the crossover is next. What can I expect as far as sound quality. I love the sound of my advents. Will the 17's be similiar in sound?

Thanks.....

Just wanted to introduce myself, new to the group from Phoeniz, AZ. Also wanted to say I just picked up a pair of nice condition 17's, but hooked them up to an Onkyo 4500 MK II that is running my large advents, and must say they sound like mud. I've already re-sealed the driver surrounds, so rebuilding the crossover is next. What can I expect as far as sound quality. I love the sound of my advents. Will the 17's be similiar in sound?

Thanks.....

Hi and welcome!

17s sound very very good. If yours don't the most likely culprits are the poor quality, old black & red electrolytic caps (craps). Replace them with some film caps and your 17s should sing! Check out this thread:

http://www.classicspeakerpages.net/IP.Boar...?showtopic=5005

Be sure to check out post #14 in that thread for the crossover schematic.

Kent

Hi and welcome!

17s sound very very good. If yours don't the most likely culprits are the poor quality, old black & red electrolytic caps (craps). Replace them with some film caps and your 17s should sing! Check out this thread:

http://www.classicspeakerpages.net/IP.Boar...?showtopic=5005

Be sure to check out post #14 in that thread for the crossover schematic.

Kent

What he said - including the "Welcome!" Old caps can do strange things to the sound of a speaker. I just redid a pair of Seventeens myself and before I did they sounded very thin and "weedy", poor bass and rather irritating treble. New caps cured the problem.

Of course, the problem with yours could lie elsewhere. For instance, you could have blown tweeters but the caps definitely have to go anyway. They'd be pushing 40 years old now so their days are done. Caps first, then see what you've got.

John

Archived