Help What AR Model#

Guest hoffy5

Guest hoffy5

Hi friends---,

Ok, I am looking for a pair of AR's to add to my other speaker collection---What model should I look for?

Currently running some Snell EIII's and A/D/S 570's--

Any help is appreciated,

Thank You!

Bob

What model should I look for?

That's an impossible question to answer. Yes--the 3a is considered by most to be the pinnacle, but there are others. Many of us here like the "Original" ARs, including the 3a, LST and 5. but The 9 series are praised by many, and the 303 is seen as a later version of the 3a. If you want the most bang for the buck, the 2ax is real nice and often cheap. The 4x is a nice little speaker and often sold for under $50. Some of the "post-classic" models are also nice. You should really listen to some ARs before deciding, and also look at them to see what works for you in terms of size and appearance. Read through the threads here and look at the Library:

http://www.classicspeakerpages.net/library...ustic_research/

To be honest, I don't understand a desire to buy a pair of speakers "ASAP" without knowing what you are looking for in a pair. Sorry to sound critical; I just don't get it.

So my advice is: Do your homework first. See what fits your tastes (visual and aural) and budget, then decide. The 3a may not be for you. They are big, heavy and expensive. OTOH, the 4x may not be a good choice because they are not the "TOTL."

Good luck

Kent

Currently running some Snell EIII's and A/D/S 570's--

If these models represent speakers you are currently happy with, the closest thing in the "classic" AR series would be the 4 or 6 series, two-way models with 8" woofers. But based on my listening impression of Snell and ADS speakers, I'm thinking you would find the treble balance of these models rather "dark" sounding. You might want to check out some of the "post classic" ARs of the same configuration, such as the AR-18 from the ADD series or the 210 or 310 from the TSWs. These would have the bass that ARs were always famous for, but with more conventional treble balance compared to the original "classic" models.

Archived