Vintage Jensen Model 4 speaker info needed!!!

Hey everyone. Can anyone shed some light on Jensen Model 4 speakers, circa 1972? They are 3 way, with 10" woofers in beautiful walnut cabinets. I just acquired a pair that are in pristine condition, except of course for the woofer surrounds. I just want to know if they are worth refoaming...how did Jensens of that era stack up sound wise to the Advents and AR's? They obviously jumped on the acoustic suspension bandwagon since these are sealed cabinets. Help, please! Dont want these beautiful cabinets to go to waste! Thanks.

Hey everyone. Can anyone shed some light on Jensen Model 4 speakers, circa 1972? They are 3 way, with 10" woofers in beautiful walnut cabinets. I just acquired a pair that are in pristine condition, except of course for the woofer surrounds. I just want to know if they are worth refoaming...how did Jensens of that era stack up sound wise to the Advents and AR's? They obviously jumped on the acoustic suspension bandwagon since these are sealed cabinets. Help, please! Dont want these beautiful cabinets to go to waste! Thanks.

I assume you've googled them. The few things I read are positive, such as this on AK:

"Very nice sounding! Also very well constructed. Sounds a bit like large Advents. The model 4's have a 12" woofer, 4" midrange covered in that funky bvlue carpeting stuff, and a dome tweeter. All in all, a very nice pair of speakers."

That woofer size may be a mistake. Other posts say it has a 10". Check out this thread:

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=191628

You can get a refoam kit from M_Sound for about $24. I don't know what the xo is like, but new caps would probably be a good idea. Inexpensive mylars work fine. So worst case you might blow $30 to $50 then discover they are not to your taste. But all those positive comments would make me think they are worth it--especially if the cabinets are nice.

Good luck.

Kent

Hi Kent,

Thanks for the info, and the encouragement. I was contemplating whether to have the woofers professionally reconed (lots more money!), or to buy a surround kit and do it myself. Everything that I've read points to refoaming yourself not being THAT difficult if you have the patience. And I think I do...I've built guitars in the past, and that takes a lot of patience! So maybe I'll go it a whirl. Thanks again. I'll let you know how it comes out.

Archived