Woofer I.D. help, pls.

Mazeppa

Finally got a pair of AR woofers for my "mongrel" AR5s. More on that in a thread to come. Anyway they came to me with this woofer and a service replacement that needed refoaming. So I have 2 orphan woofers I don't really need.

Thought I'd turn to the CSP gurus to get a positive I.D. on this one so I can get it to someone who needs it. It is 10", that masking tape on the magnet has "Russ" written on it. The only other marking on it is "D659" handwritten with one of those electric, vibrating tool markers near the connection tabs. Cone is paper that has a waffled texture to the surface, very small grid, very uniform. Dust cap is rounded, cloth screen. Surround is rubberized cloth.

The only pic I could find that resembles it was labeled as an AR4x woofer. So, what do you think I've got here, guys?

This is my first attempt at adding a link for pic.s, here goes nothing......

http://s713.photobucket.com/albums/ww135/M..._photos/Woofer/

Thought I'd turn to the CSP gurus to get a positive I.D. on this one so I can get it to someone who needs it. It is 10", that masking tape on the magnet has "Russ" written on it. The only other marking on it is "D659" handwritten with one of those electric, vibrating tool markers near the connection tabs. Cone is paper that has a waffled texture to the surface, very small grid, very uniform. Dust cap is rounded, cloth screen. Surround is rubberized cloth.

The only pic I could find that resembles it was labeled as an AR4x woofer. So, what do you think I've got here, guys?

The AR-4 series uses 8" woofers, not 10." I don't think AR-5's ever came with fabric surround woofers, so my guess is that it's from one of the older AR-2 series models.

Cast Al frame suggests early AR 10" -- perhaps Pre-1970 AR-2ax earlier or AR? But I thought those woofers had more than 4 holes --that AR went to 4 holes on the newer stamped baskets. I have never seen an AR cone that was white? Doesn't look like AR cloth surround material -- too uniform and smooth looking. Perhaps Tom Tyson has an idea...

Cheers,

John

Cast Al frame suggests early AR 10" -- perhaps Pre-1970 AR-2ax earlier or AR? But I thought those woofers had more than 4 holes --that AR went to 4 holes on the newer stamped baskets. I have never seen an AR cone that was white? Doesn't look like AR cloth surround material -- too uniform and smooth looking. Perhaps Tom Tyson has an idea...

They're more of a "cream" color. I've seen some very old AR-4-series woofers that looked like this, usually with those "hot cross buns" stripes criss-crossing them, but this is the first time I can recall seeing a 10-incher. I wonder if there's any chance it could actually be a KLH driver...?

QUOTE (johnieo @ Mar 5 2009, 03:32 PM)

Picture's not the greatest, basket is stamped steel.

They're more of a "cream" color. I've seen some very old AR-4-series woofers that looked like this, usually with those "hot cross buns" stripes criss-crossing them, but this is the first time I can recall seeing a 10-incher. I wonder if there's any chance it could actually be a KLH driver...?

Correct, the cone is not white, maybe even a very light tan. D'ya think I should also post this request in the KLH forum?

The driver is in better condition than the pic.s exhibit. For instance, what looks like rust on the backside is brown glue adhering the screen. Another observation, the mounting hole pattern & outside diameter was exactly the same as the AR5 woofers.

That gasket on the front indicates that the speaker was mounted on the BACK side of a speaker panel I didn't think any old ARs were mounted that way, plus I would think it would make the acoustic suspension seal rather difficult to achieve. I'd bet some money that it was not originally in an AR speaker and it does not look at all like the woofers that were in my 2axs circa 1965. Additionally, I'm almost certain they had more than 4 screws but I may be wrong on that particular issue since I know that later speakers with 10" woofers were 4 screwers...

That gasket on the front indicates that the speaker was mounted on the BACK side of a speaker panel I didn't think any old ARs were mounted that way, plus I would think it would make the acoustic suspension seal rather difficult to achieve. I'd bet some money that it was not originally in an AR speaker and it does not look at all like the woofers that were in my 2axs circa 1965. Additionally, I'm almost certain they had more than 4 screws but I may be wrong on that particular issue.

Mike: I believe that the material on the front is simply a spacer that restorers like Bill Miller add when installing a new foam surround; the seal would have been made on the basket backside. If basket is stamped steel, four hole, then it is a late model something. AR used screens to keep stuffing out of cone area--these are often cut away when replacing the surround. The only remaining issue is the color of the cone and the surround material. An uncomon combination? Non-AR parts?

Mike: I believe that the material on the front is simply a spacer that restorers like Bill Miller add when installing a new foam surround; the seal would have been made on the basket backside. If basket is stamped steel, four hole, then it is a late model something. AR used screens to keep stuffing out of cone area--these are often cut away when replacing the surround. The only remaining issue is the color of the cone and the surround material. An uncomon combination? Non-AR parts?

OK, I understand re the added-on gasket. the REST of the speaker looks very AR like. I have never seen that color woofer cone but I can't claim to have seen many AR woofers - personally just a few 2axs, 3as, and 4xs and a number of photos of those and others. But certainly not enough to say that the cone color means it positively wasn't original AR. But I'd be inclined to think it had been reconed which is not a bad thing. But I have to admit that if it was me, I'd want it reconed in a "traditional" AR cone color. :)

Archived