Model One's - some restoration questions

Guest daevdude

Guest daevdude

Hi all!

Based on the enthusiasm of the folks here, I dug my Model Ones out of storage and I am restoring them to duty after about 15 years of non-use. They worked fine at the time I stored them.

(I have a lot of electronics experience, [mostly vacuum tube hi-fi rebuilding and pro audio PA work] but not a lot of speaker rebuilding experience. Any tips or gotcha's unique to these speakers would be appreciated.)

A) Speakers

A.1) The woofer surrounds have rotted (as usual?) and I've ordered a re-foam kit for them. Looks like the Speaker-Ex Item #"RFK10 Angle" is the closest match, I'll post more when they come in and report on the progress and results.

A.2) The tweeters look fine, I see no reason to mess with them.

:lol: Crossover/controls.

B.1) I expect the pots and switches will just need a good cleaning. I'll check them for functionality before I bolt everything back together.

B.2) It looks like the crossover is glued in, is that correct? Should I carefully cut/pry it out to service it? Any tips here?

B.3) Should I expect the crossover caps to be leaky/out of tolerance by now and just replace them? I've liked the sound of Solens in my tube amps, any other reasonably priced suggestions?

B.4) Does anyone have a schematic for the crossover? If not, are the marked capacitor values the theoretically correct ones or merely the closest common values? I assume carefully matching the left/tight values is a good idea, yes?

C) Front panel

C.1) All the foam on teh front panel looks good and isn't crumbling, no reason to mess with it.

C.2) Speaker "grills" and the edge holder are also in good shape,. Grills are only missing the logos. Does anyone have a nice clear picture of the logo and the correct size? I can use the magic of computers and a color printer to fake a couple.

D) Cabinet

D.1) The wood grain veneer looks pretty good overall, just a little 0000 steel wool and some orange oil made it look nice.

D.2) One lower corner got crunched, perhaps a drop? Should I fill this with epoxy or something to keep the particle board from crumbling more? I'm thinking of putting some reinforced corners on the bottom surface as well. Thoughts?

Well that looks like plenty for now, thanks in advance for any advice or comments!

_daev

• 3 weeks later...
Guest daevdude
Hmmm, not much activity here...

OK, here's an update:

A) Speakers

A.1) The woofer surrounds have rotted and I've ordered a re-foam kit for them. Looks like the Speaker-Ex Item #"RFK10 Angle" is the closest match, I'll post more when they come in and report on the progress and results.

- This was indeed the correct kit. It included instructions, the surrounds, glue, shims and new dustcap covers. Only problem encountered was getting the old foam and glue off, it was more like epoxy! I finally tried a hot knife, it worked great to gently cut through the gunk. Also the old flat dust caps are now domes; seems unlikely to cause any acoustic issues.

A.2) The tweeters look fine, I see no reason to mess with them.

They are indeed fine, I just carefully cleaned off the lint.

B) Crossover/controls.

B.1) I expect the pots and switches will just need a good cleaning. I'll check them for functionality before I bolt everything back together.

B.2) It looks like the crossover is glued in, is that correct? Should I carefully cut/pry it out to service it? Any tips here?

B.3) Should I expect the crossover caps to be leaky/out of tolerance by now and just replace them? I've liked the sound of Solens in my tube amps, any other reasonably priced suggestions?

B.4) Does anyone have a schematic for the crossover? If not, are the marked capacitor values the theoretically correct ones or merely the closest common values? I assume carefully matching the left/tight values is a good idea, yes?

- I skipped over the crossover for now, as I ran out of project time. Still sounds OK.

C) Front panel

C.1) All the foam on the front panel looks good and isn't crumbling, no reason to mess with it.

- I used a lint roller to clean the foam, looks lovely now.

C.2) Speaker "grills" and the edge holder are also in good shape,. Grills are only missing the logos. Does anyone have a nice clear picture of the logo and the correct size? I can use the magic of computers and a color printer to fake a couple.

- Still no logos.

D) Cabinet

D.1) The wood grain veneer looks pretty good overall, just a little 0000 steel wool and some orange oil made it look nice.

- Needed several coats.

D.2) One lower corner got crunched, perhaps a drop? Should I fill this with epoxy or something to keep the particle board from crumbling more? I'm thinking of putting some reinforced corners on the bottom surface as well. Thoughts?

- Still thinking on this. I put some bump-on feet on the bottom for the moment to avoid marking up my hardwood floor.

Currently running them on a Hafler P500 which does 400 watts/chn into 4 ohms. Nice smooth sound, good taut bass.

_daev

• 2 months later...

Hi Daevdude,

i'll try to help you.

1) Do not touch the crossover components if the speakers sound well

2) As regards logos/badges try this: http://www.classicspeakerpages.net/IP.Boar...?showtopic=3177

Moreover, try to ask Rickrob2 if he ships to you 2 badges reproductions as he made for me two years ago...

3) Any cabinet little restoration wouldn't alterate the sound I think

All The Best with your CIZEK One

Paolo

Archived