New-Edge-It Speaker Surrounds

Guest eet16

They say that they use a new material.

"New" compared to the original. It's my understanding ALL foam surrounds come from the same manufacturer. The various retailers distinguish themselves by the quality and completeness of their "kits" and the helpfulness of their instructions and customer support.

I use MSound, but there are several good sellers.

Good luck

Kent

"New" compared to the original. It's my understanding ALL foam surrounds come from the same manufacturer. The various retailers distinguish themselves by the quality and completeness of their "kits" and the helpfulness of their instructions and customer support.

I use MSound, but there are several good sellers.

The fellow who refoamed my 3a woofers told me that compared to the original polyamide foam used in the 60's and 70's, all the new foam surrounds use "new formula" materials consisting of either polyether or polyurethane. I suspect there's probably more than one manufacturer turning them out, but probably not very many more.

I ordered new surrounds for my AR 10pi's from MSound. They came packaged in a full cardboard box, protected by plastic in such a way that they couldn't fold or get crushed. The box had a complete kit of glue, shims, two different brushes for applying the glue, sand paper for removing the remains of the old surrounds, alcohol wipes (useful for some cleanup work), and full instructions. I have ordered surrounds from other vendors, but this was the most complete kit I've ever seen, and the first one that wasn't just thrown in an envelope and stuck in the mail. John at MSound has a 100% positive rating in his shop at eBay, and I can see why. (He also answered email on a Sunday - extremely responsive.)

Oh, by the way, the surrounds were a perfect fit and the speakers sound great. MSound gets a thumbs-up from me.

JonM

I ordered new surrounds for my AR 10pi's from MSound. They came packaged in a full cardboard box, protected by plastic in such a way that they couldn't fold or get crushed. The box had a complete kit of glue, shims, two different brushes for applying the glue, sand paper for removing the remains of the old surrounds, alcohol wipes (useful for some cleanup work), and full instructions. I have ordered surrounds from other vendors, but this was the most complete kit I've ever seen, and the first one that wasn't just thrown in an envelope and stuck in the mail. John at MSound has a 100% positive rating in his shop at eBay, and I can see why. (He also answered email on a Sunday - extremely responsive.)

Oh, by the way, the surrounds were a perfect fit and the speakers sound great. MSound gets a thumbs-up from me.

JonM

JonM,

Thanks for your reply. I ordered a kit from MSound. I hope to get it in a few days.

Best,

JonM,

Thanks for your reply. I ordered a kit from MSound. I hope to get it in a few days.

Best,

Well, I finished my refoaming, and I'm very happy with the results. The AR18Bs sound great. The only thing I might add was that I wasn't that keen on the MSound glue. I might try Aileen's (sp?) next time.

Best,

eet16

Well, I finished my refoaming, and I'm very happy with the results. The AR18Bs sound great. The only thing I might add was that I wasn't that keen on the MSound glue. I might try Aileen's (sp?) next time.

Best,

eet16

Glad to hear you're happy with the results but I'm surprised about the glue. In fact, it's very similar to Aleene's (I use that stuff for a lot of things, including grille cloth and badges). What didn't you like? Have you contacted MSound to report your disasatisfaction? I just wonder if maybe you did something wrong (not a criticism--just wondering)

Kent

Glad to hear you're happy with the results but I'm surprised about the glue. In fact, it's very similar to Aleene's (I use that stuff for a lot of things, including grille cloth and badges). What didn't you like? Have you contacted MSound to report your disasatisfaction? I just wonder if maybe you did something wrong (not a criticism--just wondering)

Kent

Kent,

I did contact MSound and they were very helpful. I just found that the glue didn't adhere well to the basket. I had some curling on the foam. MSound thinks that I probably used too much glue. I think that this is right, but I need to keep adding to get it to adhere.

Not to go too far off topic, but is there a way to contact MSound off of ebay as I no longer have an account there and feel no desire to renew it. Need to pick up surrounds for 3 pairs of 2ax's and 1 pair of 10pi's.

email via his website:

http://www.citlink.net/~msound/

Kent

Archived