Please help repair a Maestro crossover

Guest Lasant

Hello all,

This is my first post ever. I'm also an acoustics newb. The only repair I've done so far is refoaming my Advent Legacy IIs. Anyway, on to the point...

I bought a pair of Advent Maestros from some jerk and the tweeters produce no sound whatsoever. I removed the tweeters and tried them in different speakers. The tweeters themselves are totally fine. I checked the crossover. Everything seems to be securely fastened. The fuse doesn't appear to be blown. All I can think is that the capacitor for the tweeter is no good. It appears to use a 4 MFD 100v capacitor. No luck finding one online.

Do you all think if I scored a new capacitor and soldered it on, it would fix my problem?

Thanks in advance,

~Lasant

P.S.

Just to be clear, the silent tweeter problem is happening in BOTH speakers. Weird, huh?

Hello all,

This is my first post ever. I'm also an acoustics newb. The only repair I've done so far is refoaming my Advent Legacy IIs. Anyway, on to the point...

I bought a pair of Advent Maestros from some jerk and the tweeters produce no sound whatsoever. I removed the tweeters and tried them in different speakers. The tweeters themselves are totally fine. I checked the crossover. Everything seems to be securely fastened. The fuse doesn't appear to be blown. All I can think is that the capacitor for the tweeter is no good. It appears to use a 4 MFD 100v capacitor. No luck finding one online.

Do you all think if I scored a new capacitor and soldered it on, it would fix my problem?

Thanks in advance,

~Lasant

P.S.

Just to be clear, the silent tweeter problem is happening in BOTH speakers. Weird, huh?

Do you know how to use an ohm meter or even a continuity tester?

The fuse can look good and have a tiny blown spot.

Just try a new fuse of the same rating if you don't know how to test for continuity.

You should replace the cap with a low cost film type in my opinion.

Do you know how to use an ohm meter or even a continuity tester?

The fuse can look good and have a tiny blown spot.

Just try a new fuse of the same rating if you don't know how to test for continuity.

You should replace the cap with a low cost film type in my opinion.

First off, thank you for your speedy reply. I've used an ohmmeter on magnet wire when I was creating voice coils but I wouldn't know exactly how to use one in this situation. Do you know what my contact points should be and what reading I should get/look for? Would a fuse with a tiny blow spot cause just the tweeters to stop working? What's a "cap" and "film type?"

First off, thank you for your speedy reply. I've used an ohmmeter on magnet wire when I was creating voice coils but I wouldn't know exactly how to use one in this situation. Do you know what my contact points should be and what reading I should get/look for? Would a fuse with a tiny blow spot cause just the tweeters to stop working? What's a "cap" and "film type?"

The fuse only protects the tweeter.

Measure the fuse for continuity, roughly 0 or a very low ohm value.

Let us know what you read then we can look further if it is something else.

cap = capacitor

film = mylar or other similar types, not non-polar electrolytic

It WAS the fuse. I tested it with a multimeter and got no response. Then, I bypassed the fuse with some copper wire and it worked! Thanks! I'll use this setup until I can get some replacement fuses.

Archived