Info on Removing Woofers

Charles218

Hi just came across a pair of J II's at the local recycle shop, the cabinets and tweeters are in excellent condition but the woofers need refoaming. Being a collector of AR's and Klh's, this is my first pair of Snell's. I understand that Snell used different woofers in the J II and I am trying to remove mine to see what I have. I've removed the mounting screws, what's next, how do I now remove the woofer.

Charles

Hi just came across a pair of J II's at the local recycle shop, the cabinets and tweeters are in excellent condition but the woofers need refoaming. Being a collector of AR's and Klh's, this is my first pair of Snell's. I understand that Snell used different woofers in the J II and I am trying to remove mine to see what I have. I've removed the mounting screws, what's next, how do I now remove the woofer.

Charles

Well, with just a little more force I discovered that they just lift out. At first it appeared that there was something else, besides the screws, holding them in.

I removed one woofer, it is stamped "Vifa" with M21WN-7 for the serial number. I've read somewhere, possibly in this forum, that it is advised to get specific replacement surrounds. Can anyone here lead me to a source? I checked with Snell but they only offer replacement woofers and the price is out of my affordable range. Any suggestions on how to proceed are welcome.

Charles

Archived