AR-11 replacement woofers

Guest sppny

I have a pair of AR-11 speakers. The foam around the woofer on one of the speakers has disintegrated. Is it possible (or desireable) to replace the foam or should I get another woofer? Even though the other speaker's woofer foam seems to be intact, should I replace that one too? The other question I am dealing with is whether I should just replace these speakers with new, more-up- to date speakers? I was always satisified with these speakers-I guess they are about 40 years old. But I wonder if new technology could get me much better sound at a reasonable price (say $3000/pair). Any thoughts or suggestions?

I have a pair of AR-11 speakers. The foam around the woofer on one of the speakers has disintegrated. Is it possible (or desireable) to replace the foam or should I get another woofer? Even though the other speaker's woofer foam seems to be intact, should I replace that one too? The other question I am dealing with is whether I should just replace these speakers with new, more-up- to date speakers? I was always satisified with these speakers-I guess they are about 40 years old. But I wonder if new technology could get me much better sound at a reasonable price (say $3000/pair). Any thoughts or suggestions?

All I can say is that I have had my ARs for 25 years and about 2 years ago I got a bee in my bonnet about upgrading the system. I auditioned many set ups and I just could not find anything at any price to beat the sound I have. Of course it may be that other systems are "purer", "more accurate" etc but I prefer the sound of the ARs every time. I actually found myself wincing at some of the speakers I heard (and they were not cheap either!).

As Gene says, the cheapest option is the refoam.

All in all it is a personal thing and I'd suggest having a good listen to some modern speakers. at home if possible, and see which sound you prefer.

Don't get rid of those ARs until you are 100% certain that you have a good replacement. I gave up and restored my ARs, then several other sets for good measure. Now it's a bit of an addiction - you have been warned! :-)

Dave

Thanks for the advice. I live in the New York city area (Queens). Can you recommend any place that restores speaks? I am not very adept with mechanical things.

Thanks for the advice. I live in the New York city area (Queens). Can you recommend any place that restores speaks? I am not very adept with mechanical things.

Welcome!

Try going to the home page of this forum and look at the links. Carl's Custom Loudspeakers is one. Carl is a member of the forum and will do a good job on your speakers. Another is Vintage AR. I don't think he (Larry) rebuilds speakers but you could buy replacement woofers from him. Bill Legall of Millersound in PA has an excellent rep (google search). If memory serves, I think member Minh Luong mluong303 is somewhere in NYC and there was a post here some time back about the great job he did on some woofers. He's one author of the excellent "Restoring the AR3a" booklet:

http://www.classicspeakerpages.net/library...ring_the_ar-3a/

Good luck! Save that $3,000 for recordings and concert tickets!

Kent

Re-foaming/repairing of the original woofers is a much better way to go than purchasing new woofers. There are no worthy "new" replacements available today, at any cost, unless you are prepared to re-engineer your speakers.

Bill LeGall of Millersound is located in eastern PA, and is a true craftsman. He is well worth a phone call at (215) 412-7700.

http://www.millersound.net/about.htm

If you are able to get your cabinets to him, he could also check out the entire speaker system and replace any worn capacitors. Your speakers can be made to be as good as new for a tiny fraction of the cost of new speakers.

Roy

If you are willing to go to $3K I strongly advise that you give PSB Stratus Golds

a listen. They are under $3K last I checked. I'm in CT and worked out a mod to

improve the AR-11 sound, in case you might be interested.

I don't know anything about AR11s, don't even know what their configuration is or what they look like but I can tell you from personal experience that IMHO $3000 will NOT buy a pair of current speakers that can, in any way other than efficiency, outperform a recapped pair of AR3As with properly functioning original drivers. I'd say you'd have to at least double that price to match a recapped pair of LSTs. So depending on where in the AR scheme of things that the 11's fall, you might spend 3k for speakers that aren't as good as the 11s could be if restored.

btw--if you have not already done so, check out the "Library" for some ads, brochures, and other lit for your AR11s. They were from the "ADD (Advanced Development Division / Truth in Listening) series":

http://www.classicspeakerpages.net/library...ries_1975-1978/

And yes--replace BOTH surrounds.

Kent

I don't know anything about AR11s, don't even know what their configuration is or what they look like

AR-11's are 10pi's without the environmental controls. Essentially the same configuration as the 3a, with crossover updates and ferrofluid tweeters.

I don't know anything about AR11s, don't even know what their configuration is or what they look like

Some good photos of the 11s in the "For Sale" section. The seller notes the speakers are sold, but you can see the pics ;)

http://www.classicspeakerpages.net/IP.Boar...?showtopic=4992

Kent

If you are willing to go to $3K I strongly advise that you give PSB Stratus Golds

a listen. They are under $3K last I checked. I'm in CT and worked out a mod to

improve the AR-11 sound, in case you might be interested.

http://www.stereophile.com/floorloudspeakers/704/index9.html

Others:

http://www.stereophile.com/floorloudspeakers/105paradigm/

http://stereophile.com/floorloudspeakers/6...ity/index1.html

I'd keep the AR-11's. The only reason I sold them was domestic considerations. I had no place to use them to the best of their ability. They offer the best balance of the AR's that I've had experience with and it would be well worth refoaming the woofers. As others have said, save your money and put a few dollars into the 11's.

Archived