refoam or replace drivers?

One more time into the breach:

I now have yet another set of opinions to sift through before I act on my AR9s.

I called AB Tech about grilles and took the opportunity to ask about refoaming. The gentleman I talked to said that they had stopped resurrounding speakers because they had problems with their own repairs. He implied that typically the new surrounds would only stay-put for a couple of years in many cases and that customers were generally unhappy with the results (claiming a change of sound or misalignment) that they just quit doing it. "Bad idea," says he.

They quoted me a 12" (11") replacement woofer for $129.95. Uh. . . that's $520 + shipping for just the woofers, then there are the two 8" speakers, too. Wow. That's a far cry from the cost of resurrounding them.

Also, I received the advice not to replace the capacitors in the crossover unless I knew one was bad.

I suppose I'm interested in hearing what path you would take if these were yours; new everything, new drivers only, new capacitors only, nothing new? I plan on having the speakers until I can't hear anymore.

I have about 10 days to decide a course of action.

Bret

I've always wondered about this also. I've had cones refoamed with good results but I wonder if there is'nt some changes from the original characteristics of the cone. I think with the cost of new drivers you have to really question if it's worth doing.

BTW- I have my drivers repaired at Speaker Clinic in Minneapolis 1-800-597-3266. Good work and fair pricing.

I've had good luck with refoaming. The success depends on who is doing the work. Layne Audio seens to have a good reputation. I use a local shop where I live (West Palm Beach, Fl area) and they use a surround kit made for a specific speaker. The are currently refoaming my AR 3 woofers for $30 apiece. Replacements are questionable as they were not designed to your cabinet and your crossovers. Refoaming gives you a better chance at original sound vs. taking a chance with new components. If you're not careful, you'll end up spending more for repairs than the speakers are worth and nd up enot being satisfied with the results on top of it. Just my opinion. Good luck.

> think with the cost of new drivers you have to really question if it's worth doing. <

I understand what you are saying. Eventually almost everything gets to be too expensive to repair, but I don't think these are there yet.

If I spent $700-1,000 repairing these, I can't think of anything I've heard for even $3,000 a pair that would touch them sound-wise.

I'm making myself comfortable with the idea of spending the money to get OEM replacement drivers since they are still available.

Thank you for your thoughts.

Bret

>and not replacing any crossover components, unless they need it.<

I suppose the old ear-test might be the best test. I can't imagine wanting to strip the crossovers and put a meter on everything then not just replacing it all on general principle while I'm there.

Bret

I refoamed all the AR9 ( 11 inch + 8 inch )drivers using the refoam kits from PartsExpress. I just finished about 3 weeks ago. So far

I am more than happy with the results. I have tested the low frequency units with a variety of music, but for example Mannheim

Steamroller's Little drummer boy sounds especially fantastic. The

low bass literally kicks my middle. But of course I am using a very powerful AMP, the NAD 2200.

I am not new to replacing the foam surrounds and have replaced quite a few of them and I would not recommend refoamimg the AR9 if this is your first job.

A few hints that I have may help.

1. Try to clean off any residue from the cone and basket ring as best as possible.

2. Make sure the voice coil is centered. I do this by letting the cone drop on the basket and afterwards gently pushing down equally on all sides. You should not hear the voice coil rub.

3. I have used the water based glue with good success. The trick

is that the glue needs to set properly. Here Experience comes in handy.

4. Practice on some inexpensive speakers first.

5. The instruction that come with the kits are very helpful and there are instructions to be found online.

My old surround reapirs have lasted up to this point in time. My advice; use the original drivers and have them repaired, you'll save a lot of money.

Julian K.

A shop by me (South /Central Jersey), re-foamed all my 9 drivers for $220. Not having had a working pair to compare to, I can't say the sound has changed for better OR worse. I CAN say that these are easily the second finest speakers I have ever heard. I was lucky to find these at a reasonable price, lucky to have a wife who agreed to let me put these monsters in HER home theater/family room, and just plain lucky for the first time in me life.

Toasted Almond

>My advice; use the original drivers and have them repaired, you'll save a lot of money.<

I was talking this over with my dad. His attitude is that I ought to re-foam and if I hate it, replace them. But I'm looking at $200 to refoam. True, that's a big savings, but it is also a substantial portion of the cost of replacement, which I assume I'd be happy with.

I'm still conflicted. I would never try to do this myself. Well, I might, but I'd practice on something less important to me first.

Bret

>I CAN say that these are easily the second finest speakers I have ever heard.<

What, and you'd better answer carefully ;-) are the finest speakers you've ever heard?

Bret

Brett

Regarding the refoaming satisfaction question; If you are not

happy with the refoam you can easily sell the 11" woofer. You

can probably get at least $25 or more for each on EBAY. There are many

people looking for spare AR parts. Those original AR woofers

are high quality items and should be reused.

Archived