AR-5 woofer polarity

Guest John Faulkner

Guest John Faulkner

Help

I Just finished putting new surrounds on the woofers for my recently purchased AR-5s, but when I went to re-install them in the cabinets I could not figure out which is the positive lug on the drivers. These are later generation 4 bolt woofers. There is a hand drawn red x or + in what looks almost like crayon or ink on the frame near one of the sides of the connections, but I can find no other markings. Can anyone help me out? They sound fine wired with the red wire going to that connecting lug, but how can I really tell?

thanks

John

Help

I Just finished putting new surrounds on the woofers for my recently purchased AR-5s, but when I went to re-install them in the cabinets I could not figure out which is the positive lug on the drivers. These are later generation 4 bolt woofers. There is a hand drawn red x or + in what looks almost like crayon or ink on the frame near one of the sides of the connections, but I can find no other markings. Can anyone help me out? They sound fine wired with the red wire going to that connecting lug, but how can I really tell?

thanks

John

John,

You can make a simple polarity tester with a 1.5v battery. Tape a wire to the negative side, and another to the positive side. Touch the wires to the woofer terminals. The cone will move outward when the + terminal is connected to the + side of the battery, and inward when reversed. It is not a bad idea to test early AR woofers, as they are notorious for being inconsistent as to which terminal is which. I have even seen a few AR woofer terminals marked with a red + that turned out to be -.

See photo...This is one of those things that will make you feel like an electronic wizard :rolleyes:!

Roy

post-101150-1229292073.jpg

Archived