Noob wants to refurbish original Smaller Advents

Guest CowboyBob

Guest CowboyBob

After what I think is 37 years (!) I think I've blown something on one of my Smaller Advents. As I was saying to my wife, I think these speakers are practically the only thing that has come through heretofore unchanged from our relationship and marriage. (Although the A/R turnable is close.) She is, shall we say, not happy. She's asked if we could fix them? Originally I thought not, but looking through the posts maybe there is hope!

The symptom here is that the sound on the speaker (left channel only) has gotten terribly fuzzy and weak, and there is no bass. Sounds terrible, of course. I think I've ruled out electronics as I swapped out my Onkyo receiver with my older Sony with the same results (OK no cracks about the cheap electronics...I know I should be running Dyneco or McIntosh, but I *did* build several Healthkit tube amplifiers, those little beige ones with the four knobs.)

What I've not yet found on the forum is a basic discussion of where to start. I guess I don't even know how to disassemble the speaker without causing further damage. Can someone point me to the basics? If I fix the left channel speaker should I also be thinking of refurbishing the right one as well?

And finally, since this going to probably a bit of a project.. to ensure domestic tranquility are there recommendations of something in the $300-$500 range for a replacement pair? I guess I like the "New England" sound, if there is one, I've had speakers from A/R, Koss (Koss headphones too) KLH, and Boston Acoustics.

Sounds like the surround is gone on at least one woofer. Do yours look like the pictures in the library here? Those look like they have velcro pads, which should make grill removal easy.

If it's just the surrounds, you have options: you do them yourself for well under $100 or get someone to fix them for you. Even option 2 would be significantly less than $300-500.

The best small $300 speakers I've heard are from Monitor Audio and Energy Acoustics.

And of course there are always Dynaco A-10s and A-25s out there for under $200/pair.

Also Large Advents and New Large Advents.

--Horse

t

After what I think is 37 years (!) I think I've blown something on one of my Smaller Advents. As I was saying to my wife, I think these speakers are practically the only thing that has come through heretofore unchanged from our relationship and marriage. (Although the A/R turnable is close.) She is, shall we say, not happy. She's asked if we could fix them? Originally I thought not, but looking through the posts maybe there is hope!

The symptom here is that the sound on the speaker (left channel only) has gotten terribly fuzzy and weak, and there is no bass. Sounds terrible, of course. I think I've ruled out electronics as I swapped out my Onkyo receiver with my older Sony with the same results (OK no cracks about the cheap electronics...I know I should be running Dyneco or McIntosh, but I *did* build several Healthkit tube amplifiers, those little beige ones with the four knobs.)

What I've not yet found on the forum is a basic discussion of where to start. I guess I don't even know how to disassemble the speaker without causing further damage. Can someone point me to the basics? If I fix the left channel speaker should I also be thinking of refurbishing the right one as well?

And finally, since this going to probably a bit of a project.. to ensure domestic tranquility are there recommendations of something in the $300-$500 range for a replacement pair? I guess I like the "New England" sound, if there is one, I've had speakers from A/R, Koss (Koss headphones too) KLH, and Boston Acoustics.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest CowboyBob
Sounds like the surround is gone on at least one woofer. Do yours look like the pictures in the library here? Those look like they have velcro pads, which should make grill removal easy.

If it's just the surrounds, you have options: you do them yourself for well under $100 or get someone to fix them for you. Even option 2 would be significantly less than $300-500.

Many thanks. I'll examine them a little more thoroughly for the Velcro... I've got them downstairs in the shop. :-) I made a quick decision and bought a pair of Boston A-60's for temporary replacements for about $315 the pair.

Guest Madcap
Many thanks. I'll examine them a little more thoroughly for the Velcro... I've got them downstairs in the shop. :-) I made a quick decision and bought a pair of Boston A-60's for temporary replacements for about $315 the pair.

Happy New Year Bob,

I have access to a complete set of drivers, crossovers and woofers (refoamed professionally). Also a pair of MINT small Advents such as yours. They are located in Toronto. Are you interested?

Madcap

• 2 months later...
Guest P the T
Happy New Year Bob,

I have access to a complete set of drivers, crossovers and woofers (refoamed professionally). Also a pair of MINT small Advents such as yours. They are located in Toronto. Are you interested?

Madcap

Madcap, I have some Smaller Advents from 1972 that need woofers - still available?

Archived