Another AR-90 Restoration...

Guest Audioduck

Guest Audioduck

Hi All,

I'm finally starting the restoration of my AR-90s that I've been putting off for a number of years. As always seems to be the case, I need to replace the surrounds/suspension on the four 10" woofers.

Have any of you had ay experience with the surrounds that are available on ebay? Is there a particular supplier that anybody can recommend? Vintage AR seems to be the one so far.

Also one of the woofers is a Sansui so that needs to be replaced. If I were to replace this with a new driver from that company mentioned in previous posts would there be much imbalance in tone? Would I be better off replacing one driver in the other cab to keep them matched?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Matt

Hi All,

I'm finally starting the restoration of my AR-90s that I've been putting off for a number of years. As always seems to be the case, I need to replace the surrounds/suspension on the four 10" woofers.

Have any of you had ay experience with the surrounds that are available on ebay? Is there a particular supplier that anybody can recommend? Vintage AR seems to be the one so far.

Also one of the woofers is a Sansui so that needs to be replaced. If I were to replace this with a new driver from that company mentioned in previous posts would there be much imbalance in tone? Would I be better off replacing one driver in the other cab to keep them matched?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Matt

Vintage AR has an excellent reputation. I use M-Sound. He sells on ebay and here is his "under construction" web page:

http://www.citlink.net/~msound/

VERY complete kits, excellent support if needed.

Try Vintage AR for your new woofer, or the "Wanted" section here, or ebay. Best to have matching original drivers. Layne Audio sells a replacement described as follows:

10" woofer, fits 38s, 48s, 48b, 48bx, 90, 2ax, 5, 8, 12, 14, LST-II,92, 9LS, 30B, 28BX, $79 each.

The new replacement driver from Vintage AR is described as:

ACOUSTIC RESEARCH AR-2AX, AR-5, AR-LST-2 WOOFER NEW. ALSO AR-12, AR-14, AR-48, AR 90

Vintage AR's drivers are $75 ea but he has a "BIN" for $64.

So if the 2ax and the other woofers listed are the same you should have no trouble finding one (or a pair) of used originals on ebay. BUT: I just checked and one seller has two 2ax woofers listed. They are both the 6-hole type and AFAIK the 6-holes are 11" (outside diameter of the frame). Later 2ax's used only 4 mounting holes and measured 10" outside diameter. I have both and just measured them to be sure. So the ones on ebay that the seller is calling 10" are NOT the right ones for you. It's confusing because the 11" and the 10" are both considered "10-inch woofers". But keep looking.

Good luck

Kent

Archived