Mint Looking KLH Twenty-Plus needs repair advice!

Guest Marconi

Guest Marconi

I went to a yardsale yesterday and I asked if the woman if she had any vintage stereo equipment she wanted to sell. She said she had some KLH speakers and went inside to get them....I was expecting her to bring out some modern low end speakers....what she brought out was the nicest looking Twenty-Plus 3 piece system with the aluminum tulip stands...with the owner's manual and other original paperwork. I had never seen one of these units before but I knew it was something special. I asked how much...she said $25...I think she was suprised when I handed her the money 2 seconds after she told me how much. Took it home, cleaned it all up and it looks mint...beautiful walnut, even on the backs...no particle board here! Turns out the left channel is out...drat. It only hums! I cleaned the pots, tuner and connections with tuner spray and blew out the dust...of course that didn't fix the problem but it did clean up the dirty connections. Everything else checks out with this unit...even the turntable. Can anyone give me some advice on what direction I should go in to find the problem? I read that it may be a bad/leaky capacitor maybe. Is that an easy replacement for this unit? I want to fix it and sell it...maybe on ebay, but if I could avoid the fees, that would be great too. Thanks, Marconi

Archived