AR-7 overhaul and power question?

Guest Bradders

Guest Bradders

Hi all!

I'm new to the forum so I'll quickly introduce myself.

I'm Bradders, I live in London, England and I'm 30 years old (3 years younger than my speakers!).

I have been passed down a pair of AR-7's by my father which he bought new in 1975. They have the 200001 model woofer. They have never been opened up before!

They have suffered the infamous "foam rot" and I am going to overhaul them.

Not knowing much about speakers at the time, I'm sorry to say that I played them for some time before I thought to take the front covers off them and found the damage the years have inflicted...

Is there anything extra I should check considering this?

I am going to use M-Sound to purchase the necessary parts for the over-haul as they seem to be well recommended on this site.

Does anyone know the Max and Mean Power figures for these speakers. I don't want to over-drive them when all is done and dusted!

Many thanks,

Bradders

Guest rbrumett
Hi all!

I'm new to the forum so I'll quickly introduce myself.

I'm Bradders, I live in London, England and I'm 30 years old (3 years younger than my speakers!).

I have been passed down a pair of AR-7's by my father which he bought new in 1975. They have the 200001 model woofer. They have never been opened up before!

They have suffered the infamous "foam rot" and I am going to overhaul them.

Not knowing much about speakers at the time, I'm sorry to say that I played them for some time before I thought to take the front covers off them and found the damage the years have inflicted...

Is there anything extra I should check considering this?

I am going to use M-Sound to purchase the necessary parts for the over-haul as they seem to be well recommended on this site.

Does anyone know the Max and Mean Power figures for these speakers. I don't want to over-drive them when all is done and dusted!

Many thanks,

Bradders

There are some brochures here but here are some attachments!

AR_7_Brochure.zip

AR_7_Equipment_Test_Hirsch_Houck_Labs.pdf

Guest rbrumett
Thanks for the brochures!

Does anyone know the power figures for the AR-7's?

The rec. min. power is 15wrms. What are the power amp specs for your system?

I've not got the amp at home right now so I'm not sure.

Will let you know when I next see it!

Hi there;

AR's last published fuse data suggested that the AR-7 was handling well over 1,000 watt peaks.

This does not mean that we can run them full open, fused or not.

Anticipate a moderate volume level for long term usage, fused that is.

Vern

Archived