bi-amping ar 3-a improveds.

fred

Just for fun!

A couple of months ago i bought a pair of 3a-improveds here in Holland.(180 euro)

Since i have a Nakamichi ES-100 and a Stereo 400 which i don"t use at the moment, i'd like to bi-amp the improveds.

My question is ...how!??

• 2 weeks later...
Guest BarryJHart

'fred' date='Oct 6 2008, 08:41 PM' post='75928'

Just for fun!

A couple of months ago I bought a pair of 3a-improveds here in Holland.(180 euro)

Since I have a Nakamichi ES-100 and a Stereo 400 which I don"t use at the moment, I'd like to bi-amp the improved's.

My question is ...how!??

The answer is what do you need to know:-

(a) - Are you enquiring about the physical method of connecting the amplifiers to the loud speakers - rewiring the cross-over and providing connectivity to the amplifiers.

(B) - Are you enquiring about the electronic method - amplifiers & electronic cross-over etc.

Finally a bit of history...

I was in the industry when the "Improved" was introduced and 'improved' they weren't. The AR-3a is superior period.

These speakers were only made in the AR factory at Amersfoort - sold in the UK and Australia etc.

I believe this was a failed experiment and consequently not released in the US...

The are at least two areas where the speakers differed:-

(1) - The obvious one is the capacitors in the crossover are the cheap and nasty E-Cap (By now they would be leaking)

(2) - The less obvious area is the 'AR-3a' used copper for the mid voice coil former and the 'Improved' used aluminium.

I have been using tri-amping (active) systems for about 30 years this is a real improvement. Most noteworthy is the bass.

An other consideration is there may be a requirement to modify the cabinets to accomodate the additional amplifiers (maybe the amps don't like their earths connected).

Regards

Barry Hart

Just for fun!

A couple of months ago i bought a pair of 3a-improveds here in Holland.(180 euro)

Since i have a Nakamichi ES-100 and a Stereo 400 which i don"t use at the moment, i'd like to bi-amp the improveds.

My question is ...how!??

You should post this query in the Mods, Tweaks and Upgrades forum.

Archived