AR33-BX

PeteDoc

Hi, my first post here!

I have just saved a pair of AR-33BX from my local skip area. As expected, both foams are completely shot, and one of the cones has partially detetched from the voice coil.

I recently sucessfully re-foamed my beloved AR-18's, so I am not afraid to tackle the 33's, but I have a few questions if anyone can please advise on.

1. I can find practically no information relating to the 33's online - are they worth saving? What is the general opinion on them?

2. Where the cone attaches to the voice coil, there is a band of orangey coloured material (adhesive?). The detatched part of the cone does not want to slide back over this material - the attached part seems to be over it by a couple of mm. ( hard to describe - I could post a picture if it would help). How can I persuade the cone to slide back to it's original position? What type of adhesive would be suitable?

3. One of the wire tweeter covers was dented. I unscrewed the grille, but of course the tweeter fell inside the cabinet! After retrieving the tweeter and reuniting it with it's cover I was worried that there may be some sort of alignment issue with the main body of the tweeter and the cover, as there was a fine cylinder on the cover which located into the circumfrence of the tweeter. ( Sorry, again hard to describe).

4. Is there any tests I can carry out to check if there is anything more fundamentally wrong - perhaps just hook them up to an amp at very low volume? I don't want to shell out on a set of foams to discover something more serious.

5. The cabinets have a few dinks in the edges - any thoughts on repairing these?

I know this is a lot of stuff to be asking, but if anyone can answer any of the above I would be most grateful.

Thanks in advance,

PeteDoc

Hi, my first post here!

Welcome!

I have just saved a pair of AR-33BX from my local skip area. As expected, both foams are completely shot, and one of the cones has partially detetched from the voice coil.

I recently sucessfully re-foamed my beloved AR-18's, so I am not afraid to tackle the 33's, but I have a few questions if anyone can please advise on.

1. I can find practically no information relating to the 33's online - are they worth saving? What is the general opinion on them?

if you haven't seen it, there's a link in the library here. I'm guessing these didn't make it to the US.

2. Where the cone attaches to the voice coil, there is a band of orangey coloured material (adhesive?). The detatched part of the cone does not want to slide back over this material - the attached part seems to be over it by a couple of mm. ( hard to describe - I could post a picture if it would help). How can I persuade the cone to slide back to it's original position? What type of adhesive would be suitable?

Anything quite visible and not too thin <_< Sounds like the yellow weatherstrip adhesive they use on cars, actually. Yeah, pictures would help. There are some actual professionals who lurk.

3. One of the wire tweeter covers was dented. I unscrewed the grille, but of course the tweeter fell inside the cabinet! After retrieving the tweeter and reuniting it with it's cover I was worried that there may be some sort of alignment issue with the main body of the tweeter and the cover, as there was a fine cylinder on the cover which located into the circumfrence of the tweeter. ( Sorry, again hard to describe).

I don't know... put them together and see if there's any difference in the two.

4. Is there any tests I can carry out to check if there is anything more fundamentally wrong - perhaps just hook them up to an amp at very low volume? I don't want to shell out on a set of foams to discover something more serious.

I usually just check 'em with an ohmmeter.

5. The cabinets have a few dinks in the edges - any thoughts on repairing these?

Standard furniture tricks, I would imagine. Are they veneer on wood or on particle board?

I know this is a lot of stuff to be asking, but if anyone can answer any of the above I would be most grateful.

Thanks in advance,

PeteDoc

There was a posting a few months ago about AR-44BX speakers that were European/British versions of the American AR-50 from the Connoisseur Series.

So, logic would dictate if the 44BX was the American 50, then the 33BX would be the American 40.

The AR-40 was a 10" 3-way with a 6 1/2" mid and a 1" dome tweeter (soft dome in the earlier versions, titanium in the 40T). Quite a good speaker. High Fidelity magazine said they were "very impressed."

Are your speakers 10" 3-ways? If yes, then there's your answer.

Steve F.

• 5 months later...
Guest AMynster
There was a posting a few months ago about AR-44BX speakers that were European/British versions of the American AR-50 from the Connoisseur Series.

So, logic would dictate if the 44BX was the American 50, then the 33BX would be the American 40.

The AR-40 was a 10" 3-way with a 6 1/2" mid and a 1" dome tweeter (soft dome in the earlier versions, titanium in the 40T). Quite a good speaker. High Fidelity magazine said they were "very impressed."

Are your speakers 10" 3-ways? If yes, then there's your answer.

Steve F.

Just for infor

I have the AR 55BX and are really happy about the way they sounds, and these definitely correspond to the American 40 series although slightly higher low -3dB frequency however as I understand it the only difference between 44BX and 55BX is that the 44BX have soft dome and the 55BX have titanium tweeters.

Archived