damping check on AR6

Guest Xover

What would be the time for a AR6 woofer to return to it's neutral position after being pushed inwards ?

Is this a appropriate way to check damping ?

I don't have a stopwatch, but with the old "one thousand one, one thousand two" method I'd guesstimate my 6's take just a hair under two seconds. I have no idea if that tells us anything at all. They sound fine to me.

To give an indication on my AR6 - LF drivers : they come back to neutral position in aproximately 1/4 of a second.

Now that is rahther quick is it not ?

It's quicker than mine, but whether that means anything significant I couldn't say. How do they sound to you?

It's quicker than mine, but whether that means anything significant I couldn't say. How do they sound to you?

Have the impression that the 60 to 200 Hz. region is far too loud compared to the mids, even when listening close to the unit.

(thereby more or less bypassing the influence of my room acoustics) . It is most evident on pulses like kickdrum and plucked bass etc so my guess is it has something to do with transients in particular ?

Now I remember to have read some description on damping materials and the amount of it but I can't seem to find it here in the forum.

Any clue ?

Grtz from Holland.

Have the impression that the 60 to 200 Hz. region is far too loud compared to the mids, even when listening close to the unit.

(thereby more or less bypassing the influence of my room acoustics) . It is most evident on pulses like kickdrum and plucked bass etc so my guess is it has something to do with transients in particular ?

Now I remember to have read some description on damping materials and the amount of it but I can't seem to find it here in the forum.

Any clue ?

Offhand I can't recall ever seeing a discussion of how much fiberglass is in an AR-6, and since I own a pair I think I would have noticed one (unless it happened long before I started inhabiting the forum).

Have you looked inside yours? I'm wondering if perhaps some previous owner removed the fiberglass and replaced it with poly, which would not provide the same damping. Also, when you pressed in your woofer cone, how long did you hold it in before letting it go and timing it? You need to hold it in for about 20 seconds or so.

I'm still hoping that Carl, Tom or someone else more knowledgeable about this subject will chime in and tell us what the return time ought to be and what its significance is.

Archived