ar3 midrange - little sound

Guest John Faulkner

Guest John Faulkner

just starting on rebuild of speakers in storage for a long time. midrange leads broken but I was able to attach new longer leads to short existing aluminum wire with crimp connectors. Doing the old battery test the midrange makes a rather faint scratching sound. I was also working on ar3a mids and tweeters and they all make a MUCH louder sound. Is this just the infamous inefficiency of those old drivers? That speaker had a VIFA tweeter installed and I haven't been able to get at the other speaker yet - I know it has an original tweeter and some sort of replacement mid from the late 70s. You would think with the giant magnet structure of that old mid it could make some noise!

just starting on rebuild of speakers in storage for a long time. midrange leads broken but I was able to attach new longer leads to short existing aluminum wire with crimp connectors. Doing the old battery test the midrange makes a rather faint scratching sound. I was also working on ar3a mids and tweeters and they all make a MUCH louder sound. Is this just the infamous inefficiency of those old drivers? That speaker had a VIFA tweeter installed and I haven't been able to get at the other speaker yet - I know it has an original tweeter and some sort of replacement mid from the late 70s. You would think with the giant magnet structure of that old mid it could make some noise!

The AR-3 had different response characteristics compared to the 3a, hence the crossover design changes that went along with the driver changes, but I don't think their overall efficiency was all that different.

Archived