I have the necessary drivers.............

frankmarsi

9-4-08

Dear members, if you check out eBay for these 'newer' AR-LST cabinets let know your feelings about taking them on as a project.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...em=260281826629

Ebay #260281826629

Above is the link, I have spare drivers from LST's and thought if I build simple X-overs I could have just one more set of these babies.

Any ideas or 'real' suggestions about the components for these x-overs?

Friend of the world, Frank Marsi

frankmarsi@verizon.net

9-4-08

Dear members, if you check out eBay for these 'newer' AR-LST cabinets let know your feelings about taking them on as a project.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...em=260281826629

Ebay #260281826629

Above is the link, I have spare drivers from LST's and thought if I build simple X-overs I could have just one more set of these babies.

Any ideas or 'real' suggestions about the components for these x-overs?

Friend of the world, Frank Marsi

frankmarsi@verizon.net

Hello FM. I also looked at those cabs at the behest of a customer of mine for whom I did some work on his LST's. I had more questions than answers. For example, I see now evidence of routing for flush mounting of the drivers which I believe should be there. Could it be these were not first quality and somehow got thru production to the cab finishing stage and these are in fact, seconds?

What drivers should be installed in them? AR or Dynaudio. What should the xover by like? There is no evidence of a hole for a contouring/attenuation device like the LST has? and so on......

What drivers should be installed in them? AR or Dynaudio. What should the xover by like? There is no evidence of a hole for a contouring/attenuation device like the LST has? and so on......

I see the seller has added a note that the cabinets are for the Dynaudio drivers but the crossover components he has are for the AR version.

I see the seller has added a note that the cabinets are for the Dynaudio drivers but the crossover components he has are for the AR version.

Hi Frank;

It is almost midnight here on the Pacific coast and the bidding is almost $160.00 now.

Empty cabinets only, may or may not accept your drivers without adaptors.

Needs a crossover, at whatever level you would want to create.

Nice having the cabinets but with all that is needed to do to the assembling/adapting, nevermind the drivers.

Certainly saves a lot of work though, especially if one does not have the tools and power equipment to make them.

I do not have a dollar value of their basic cabinet worth, as is, perhaps $200.00 is ok for the empty pair?

Taking a ballpark selling value of original AR-LST's in mint condition at $1,800.00 a pair on eBay plus S&H of $250.00 packaged to perhaps, Tom Tyson's standards so that they would arrive as sold.

Start deducting the going cost of used AR drivers, guess at the crossover cost in the LST.

If the pickup is a short drive for you then also deduct the S&H cost.

Quite an endeavour for that extra pair.

Good luck, if you are the winner, Frank.

Vern

I do not have a dollar value of their basic cabinet worth, as is, perhaps $200.00 is ok for the empty pair?

If you had to pay a cabinetmaker to build and finish a single pair of these the cost would be way higher than the company paid for them in quantity, of course. Offhand, I'd guess easily $300-$400.

9-5-08

Gee, thanks for the helpful, albeit, realistic out-pouring from everyone, everywhere.

I’ll start with Carl, who is correct to assume that these cabinets might very well be ‘factory-seconds’ although it never crossed my mind, you might be right. Thanks.

Your consideration about the cut-outs is something I wouldn’t want to tangle with if I was faced with it, ‘STRIKE-ONE!

Considering Genek’s viewpoint regarding the ‘Dyna-audio’ components, gosh, those suckers are so…expensive. ‘STRIKE-TWO’!

‘Pal-O-Mine’, Vern, baby, you said it all in your common-sense approach. The mere thought of all the labor-intensive, time-consuming bull-sh_t is something I can’t begin to approach with any zeal.

‘STRIKE-THREE’! I’m OUT!

Well, there you have it folks, my crazy idea of getting two empty cabinets and thinking that I could get away for pennies has been canceled, I’m not bidding.

However, of worthy mention is that four weeks ago I did purchase two AR-3a cabinets in really good condition with X-overs and stuffing, for the ‘fair’ price of $89.99+ shipping for both. Two weeks after, a less than good condition empty pair sold for over $400. So I do have that to feel good about. In reality I feel my speaker buying moods and dreams really have to cease for now as I have more ARs’ now than I ever dreamed of back in the early ‘70s when I first bought 3a’s.

Restoring and rebuilding the 16 varied units I presently have is more than most would think as logical for a vintage AR listener. And yes my living room is not really for humans any longer as it has become a vintage stereo warehouse by any other description. Narrow walk-ways thru all the speakers, amps, pre-amps, turn-tables, CD players, cables, records, CD’s, is becoming dangerous. I’ve always been a ‘vinyl-guy’ and I’ve been busy with cartridge purchases lately and they don’t take much room at all.

Self proclaimed loser of this auction anyway, FM

The mere thought of all the labor-intensive, time-consuming bull-sh_t is something I can’t begin to approach with any zeal.

This is really the only one that matters. Even if all a pair of speakers needs is a new logo plate, if you don't have the necessry zeal it's too much.

My 3a's are on the local UPS truck for delivery today (woohoo). I know they'll need woofer surrounds (farming that job out), new pots (previous owner replaced originals with RS L-pads, I have 4 aetna-pollaks decrusted and waiting to be polished), and a general cabinet and grill refurbishment. Condition of caps unknown until I open it up, I'm hoping the previous owner either replaced the originals correctly or didn't touch them so I can if necessary.

Archived