AR-9 foam surrounds

Guest AR-9 addict

Guest AR-9 addict

I have been using my AR-9's non-stop for the past 28 years with no hick-ups or problems. Recently I heard a faint noise from one speaker and close inspection showed the inevitable rot on all the woofer and midrange cone surrounds. I imediately stopped using my babies and started a search for diy foam replacement kits. The woofers are easy to find-everyone seems to stock them. The problem is finding surrounds for the midrange speakers. I've seen forum members mention replacing all of their surrounds but no mention of where they found midrange surrounds. If any one can give some suggestions on sources for specific AR midrange surrounds or info on finding general replacement surrounds I would be highly appreciative. I miss my children!

I have been using my AR-9's non-stop for the past 28 years with no hick-ups or problems. Recently I heard a faint noise from one speaker and close inspection showed the inevitable rot on all the woofer and midrange cone surrounds. I imediately stopped using my babies and started a search for diy foam replacement kits. The woofers are easy to find-everyone seems to stock them. The problem is finding surrounds for the midrange speakers. I've seen forum members mention replacing all of their surrounds but no mention of where they found midrange surrounds. If any one can give some suggestions on sources for specific AR midrange surrounds or info on finding general replacement surrounds I would be highly appreciative. I miss my children!

Welcome Addict!

I'm not familiar with the 9 mids, but try contacting M Sound:

http://www.citlink.net/~msound/

You can email John and ask questions. There is also a page on the website for taking all kinds of measurements so you will get the right surrounds. Small drivers are tricky to refoam--I did the small woofers in my AR Powered Partners and it was a bit of a pain. OTOH I got lots of help and support from MSound. I've also refoamed a bunch of 8" and 12" woofers--easier, IMHO. YMMV.

Kent

Guest Jason Miller

I see alot of people selling kits on ebay that say AR and they are the same as the cheaper ones. all they do is add elmers glue to the kit and give ether paper or plastic shims. I dont even use shims myself. I have had very good luck without them. the best person I found on ebay is this seller http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZbootapest2 He has a very good prices. and will combine shipping on different size surrounds if you contact him before you pay. he sends back an updated invice. buy you have to contact him to get him to combine the shipping.

I see alot of people selling kits on ebay that say AR and they are the same as the cheaper ones. all they do is add elmers glue to the kit and give ether paper or plastic shims. I dont even use shims myself. I have had very good luck without them. the best person I found on ebay is this seller http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZbootapest2 He has a very good prices. and will combine shipping on different size surrounds if you contact him before you pay. he sends back an updated invice. buy you have to contact him to get him to combine the shipping.

Jason is right--all of the foam surrounds are the same. But with Vintage AR or MSound you get complete kits and expert advice. It's more than shims and glue, and it's NOT Elmer's (although it may be Alene's). Larry at Vintage AR knows his stuff and stands behind it. I have bought a few things from him including his excellent AR badge reproductions. For surrounds, I happen to like MSound. The kits have EVERYTHING--shims, dust caps (your choice of size and style), adhesive, even sandpaper, brushes and alcohol wipes. And email support is always available.

YMMV, but is it REALLY worth saving $10 to get just the surrounds and not all the other stuff? And although some disagree, the shims are important for keeping the voice coil aligned (not centered--vertical).

If you have never done a refoam job, I strongly recommend springing for the extra ten bucks and buying from Vintage AR or M Sound.

Kent

... I strongly recommend springing for the extra ten bucks and buying from Vintage AR or M Sound.

Kent

ditto!

(i havent shopped around for surrounds for a while, but i thought that Larry of vintage_ar was very competitive with his prices.)

Guest Jason Miller

But if you know how to replace surrounds its well worth the savings. all I can say is I was doing two sets of 10's and my total came to 18 dollars with shipping. If i would of ordered from vintage AR the total would of been $47.40 with shipping. so it was a savings of $29.40. I think they came out nicely for only spending 18 dollars. all I need to do now is touch up some of the black paint they used on the woofers edges. what kind of paint should I get.

post-102958-1219976026.jpg

post-102958-1219976039.jpg

post-102958-1219976141.jpg

Archived