A-35 Woofer

Guest Stephen Treadway

Guest Stephen Treadway

Hi:

I'm the proud new owner of a pair of A-35s - one speaker arrived with it's woofer

nonfunctioning. When I gently push on the cone, it does not move. Has it been

overdriven and it's voice coil jammed? Currently bidding on a replacement woofer.

I'm very handy so the task of replacing the speaker doesn't seem too daunting. Any

tips or suggestions from fellow Classic Speaker lovers would be greatly appreciated.

I'm driving these by the way with a Scott 299-C with a Dual turntable as the front end.

Thanks for the help!

Hi:

I'm the proud new owner of a pair of A-35s - one speaker arrived with it's woofer

overdriven and it's voice coil jammed? Currently bidding on a replacement woofer.

I'm very handy so the task of replacing the speaker doesn't seem too daunting. Any

tips or suggestions from fellow Classic Speaker lovers would be greatly appreciated.

I'm driving these by the way with a Scott 299-C with a Dual turntable as the front end.

Thanks for the help!

Hi there;

Some considered the A-35 an improvement over the venerable A-25 (over 1 million sold) speaker system.

Advertising literature from Dynaco used to say that the A-35 had smoother midrange.

There may have been comments about the bass and treble, I just can't remember right now.

With the A-25 being aperiodic by design, and not being acoustic suspension, as is the A-35, they may sound different to each listener.

There may be a favoured speaker of the two by different listeners.

They both used the exact same drivers in the Sea's version driver speakers, each 8 ohms.

I cannot be certain that the round frame Scan woofers or Scan tweeters were never used in the A-35's, as they were in the A-25's.

If you still have the hung-up woofer, it may still be repairable, if you haven't tossed it or done more than the gentle push-test.

I don't mean by paying someone, just as a hobbiest.

Used they are about $15.00 - $30.00 + S&H off eBay.

They do have special packaging and shipping requirements.

If you read some of my write-up's, I have mentioned about Dynaco 10" woofers in several places and cautions to watch out for.

Dynaco recommended 1 amp fast blow fuses for both systems.

Vern

• 3 months later...

Replacement of A-35 woofers is very straightforward. There's usually gunk behind the woofer; just pull gently outward until it gives. I think I slightly prefer the A-35 sound to that of the A-25. They're similar enough that you could use one on the left and the other on the right and not notice it for awhile (I've done that). But the A-35 is ultimately a tad more authoritative sounding--at least to my ears.

Enjoy!

--Horse

Hi:

Thanks for the help!

Archived