New AR-3a project speakers on the way

genek

My first new speaker restoration project in several years. AR-3a's, serial numbers 44502 & 44587.

These almost got parted out on eBay.

They will need woofer refoam/possibly rebuild, new pots (originals were removed and replaced with Rube Goldberg Radio Shack L-Pad panel bolted to the outside), cabinet finish and grill cloth. Condition of caps still unknown.

My first new speaker restoration project in several years. AR-3a's, serial numbers 44502 & 44587.

These almost got parted out on eBay.

They will need woofer refoam/possibly rebuild, new pots (originals were removed and replaced with Rube Goldberg Radio Shack L-Pad panel bolted to the outside), cabinet finish and grill cloth. Condition of caps still unknown.

Good luck! :)

Anyway, I can't understand why a speaker has to go ruined in the years, it's so easy to mantain it in perfect condition.. ;)

• 2 weeks later...
It seems they need only refoam of the woofer (except maybe for some recap ;) ).

But these ar3a look really good, compliments!

The grills are also hosed, the cabs need chips and scratches filled

and surfaces re-oiled, and someone did this to them when the

original pots went.

post-102742-1220713734.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

After two weekends of work. Woofers are out for refoaming. The funky RS L-pad level controllers hve been removed and their leads marked for ID, but I still have not suited up and dug out the fiberglass to access the crossovers to install the replacement controls.

I originally thought I was going to have to sand and refinish and would end up with that "brand new out of the box" look, but after repeated buffings with rottenstone and lemon oil here's what the cabinets look like. I have patched and regrained the biggest chips in the veneer, and have decided to just polish over their few remaining blemishes, let them remain as-is and not completely obliterate their history.

post-102742-1221540964.jpg

Your woodworking skills are great. Looks like a fun project!

Thanks. It is fun, at least the cabinet work is.

The rest of what has to be done, not quite so

much fun, probably because a knife or a

soldering iron in my hands can be something

of a ticking time bomb.

Archived