AR Vintage Holographic 5M's & 338t's

Guest dianafern

Guest dianafern

hi,

i have a pair of 5m's and a pair of 338t. i have the original brochures but i can find no other information about them, such as today's value if i were to sell and/ or if i really want to sell them- meaning, i'm looking for someone who knows about them and why they might still be considered great. both pairs are in excellent condition.

they were my father's and he loved them!

thanks so much!

hi,

i have a pair of 5m's and a pair of 338t. i have the original brochures but i can find no other information about them, such as today's value if i were to sell and/ or if i really want to sell them- meaning, i'm looking for someone who knows about them and why they might still be considered great. both pairs are in excellent condition.

they were my father's and he loved them!

thanks so much!

Technically, your speakers aren't considered part of the AR Vintage collection. Having said that, they could well be excellent speakers but I don't know a darn thing about them except what's in the brochure and can't make an honest, let alone educated comment on their quality or sound.

The speakers were built some time in the 90's according to the info in the library on this web site, making them somewhere between 10 and 18 years old. As a general rule, speakers aren't considered "old" until they are 20 somethings, or older. At that point, foam surrounds could be rotting and the original NPE caps are drying out. The good news is both problems can be economically addressed and the speakers can be returned to service.

Unfortunately, there's absolutely no way to return them to their "new" sound. Some reasons being we don't exactly know what they sounded like new, spiders and cones loosen up, time and humidity take their toll.

My thought is this. If you like the look and sound of the speakers, keep them. Good speakers today can be insanely priced so replacing them with something similar or better may break the bank. Restoring them might cost a couple hundred dollars.

PLEASE, someone...

I know many of you know a lot about AR's .

Please help me.

Thanks!!!

Concerning the 338t's, I have seen them go for $50, and I have seen a woofer alone sell for $100+. This kind of thing is very opportunistic. If you can hang on to them until you find somebody looking for them, you can probably get $200+ for the pair. If you need to Ebay them quickly, it is unlikely you will get half that, unless you are lucky. The question as to whether you should keep them is impossible to answer without learning more about your tastes and requirements. I like them a lot, but I am biased! I doubt you could surpass their sonic performance for $200, though there certainly different styles of sound you might happen to prefer.

-k

www.kenkantor.com

www.ztamplifiers.com

Archived