AR5 Schematics ?

eddie

Carl posted this a while back. I'm surprised it's not in the library.

That is a nice one. After he posted this schematic, however, Carl and I determined the ".51" ohm resistor in the mid circuit is actually 1.3 ohms. A .51 ohm resistor is in the same place in the 3a.

Here's a couple of additional AR-5 pics...

Roy

post-101150-1219282588.jpg post-101150-1219282607.gif

Carl posted this a while back. I'm surprised it's not in the library.

Thank you very much, this is just what I needed. I am going to look around for the capacitors.

greetings from the Netherlands.

Eddie

• 3 weeks later...
Will a 75 & 25 be close enough to replace the 72 & 24mfd caps?

Absolutely...The caps in the photo I posted above are those values. I have restored several pairs of AR-5's using those caps, and have been pleased with the results each time. (I prefer to go with a slightly higher value than lower if an exact match is not possible.)

Roy

Absolutely...The caps in the photo I posted above are those values. I have restored several pairs of AR-5's using those caps, and have been pleased with the results each time. (I prefer to go with a slightly higher value than lower if an exact match is not possible.)

Is that because higher values change the sound, or because you expect the caps' values to fall over time (or maybe both)? Were the original values just what was standard off-the-shelf at the time, or do you think they came from some sort of calculations? I did miserably in all my electicrical courses, can you actually calculate what the effects of components in a crossover network on turnover frequencies and sound levels will be, or is it all trial and error?

Hi,

I think it is about time to start collecting capacitors to restore some sparkling high in my AR5's ..

Anyone has schematics for the filters ?

I did not find them in the library,

Eddie

Hi Eddie,

I own a pair of AR5 also and was planning to do the same coming winter.

Have you managed to collect all components for the filters ?

Grtz!

Is that because higher values change the sound, or because you expect the caps' values to fall over time (or maybe both)? Were the original values just what was standard off-the-shelf at the time, or do you think they came from some sort of calculations? I did miserably in all my electicrical courses, can you actually calculate what the effects of components in a crossover network on turnover frequencies and sound levels will be, or is it all trial and error?

It is a purely subjective opinion on my part, and only if the original values are not readily available. I was also referring only to modern film caps which are very stable compared to electrolytic caps. Every old AR cap I have measured has been higher than the stated value, most likely because those old electrolytic caps tend to increase in value as they age. Whatever the reason or sonic effect, we are talking about differences that are very small and well within original design tolerances. The original caps probably varied around 10% to 20% off the shelf. Modern, high quality poly film caps are typically within 5%, and almost always measure better than that. Replacing the AR-5's 24uf and 72uf caps with single 25uf and 75uf poly caps is a simple effective procedure that easily meets original specs...and will likely stay that way for a very long time.

Roy

• 5 months later...
Hi Eddie,

I own a pair of AR5 also and was planning to do the same coming winter.

Have you managed to collect all components for the filters ?

Grtz!

Hi, I just received a set of capacitors bought from http://cgi.ebay.com/ACOUSTIC-RESEARCH-AR-5...1742.m153.l1262

Just what I needed for a fair price, I also bought new level controls from this guy ... going to solder next weekend ;-)

Hi, I just received a set of capacitors bought from http://cgi.ebay.com/ACOUSTIC-RESEARCH-AR-5...1742.m153.l1262

Just what I needed for a fair price, I also bought new level controls from this guy ... going to solder next weekend ;-)

There is a minor error in my AR5 schematic in the library. The "2" and the "'T" should be reversed.

There is a minor error in my AR5 schematic in the library. The "2" and the "'T" should be reversed.
Thanks for point me on that, the new level controls came with schematics, so I will compare them all and be extra carefull.

I will keep you all informed on the results.

Thanks for point me on that, the new level controls came with schematics, so I will compare them all and be extra carefull.

I will keep you all informed on the results.

Larry's instructions should be spot-on, but you do want to use the schematics to make sure some previous owner hasn't bunged up the wiring before you proceed.

I promissed you all some pictures ....

post-103135-1235156650.jpg

The Woofer !

post-103135-1235156663.jpg

It really says AR2-AX ...

post-103135-1235156672.jpg

This is how the old filter looked !

post-103135-1235156679.jpg

And after some soldering it looked like this !

Results :

the AR5's are definitely more in balance now, the high and mid are louder and brighter. Sounds great now !

Wish I had seen your posts and pics before I started my AR 5 recap. I used Dayot 60 + 12 to get to 72. And bundled them together which looks more messy. I also didn't realize at first that someone had bypassed the pot soldering jumper wire on bot pots. Turns out my tweeters are both dead. Wonder if the bypassing had anything to do with that.

IMGP3933.jpg

Funny whites stuff on tweeters. Someone at AK suggested it may be styrofoam from packaging? Ws wondering if I had some kind of mold on there.

IMGP3926.jpg

Archived