AR-2AX - Ohmite Rheostat Cover

Guest Chris

I am in the process of rebuilding a neglected pair of AR-2ax speakers and plan on replacing the stock rheostats with a pair of Ohmite RHS15R. I have been looking through the archives for examples of what kind of cover to build and it seems like the attached images for these messages are missing. I plan on gluing a 0.75"x2"x1.5" block of oak above the rheostats and building a three sided box out of 1/8" balsa wood that would attach with screws to this glued block. This method would allow the box to be removed when the next repair occurs, while the the open side of the box would provide an exit for the wires. Any suggestions or comments on my madness?

Chris

I am in the process of rebuilding a neglected pair of AR-2ax speakers and plan on replacing the stock rheostats with a pair of Ohmite RHS15R. I have been looking through the archives for examples of what kind of cover to build and it seems like the attached images for these messages are missing. I plan on gluing a 0.75"x2"x1.5" block of oak above the rheostats and building a three sided box out of 1/8" balsa wood that would attach with screws to this glued block. This method would allow the box to be removed when the next repair occurs, while the the open side of the box would provide an exit for the wires. Any suggestions or comments on my madness?

Chris

Sounds like you are attempting to keep combustibles away from an open backed rheostat. Am I understanding this correctly??

If this is correct, do you have a way for heat to escape with your balsa box? I mean, the last thing you'd want to do is trap heat so that it builds up.

Regards,

Jerry

Sounds like you are attempting to keep combustibles away from an open backed rheostat. Am I understanding this correctly??

If this is correct, do you have a way for heat to escape with your balsa box? I mean, the last thing you'd want to do is trap heat so that it builds up.

Regards,

Jerry

Good Point Jerry. Yes, I am looking for a way to keep the fiberglass off of the open backed rheostats. I might make the glue block a little bit taller, omit the sides of the box and add a piece opposite the block to keep the balsa strip from bending into the rheostats. This should allow some airflow from two sides and keep the fiberglass off the rheostats.

Chris

Good Point Jerry. Yes, I am looking for a way to keep the fiberglass off of the open backed rheostats. I might make the glue block a little bit taller, omit the sides of the box and add a piece opposite the block to keep the balsa strip from bending into the rheostats. This should allow some airflow from two sides and keep the fiberglass off the rheostats.

Chris

Why balsa? Oak is like a rock and balsa is like, well, balsa. Not very sturdy. Why not use 1/8" Masonite or the very thin plywood sold in craft stores like Michael's? I think the plywood wood be perfect. It comes in a piece about 6" x 12" for about a buck as I recall.

Or contact Carl and ask for copies of his photos and advice on building the enclosure.

Good luck

Kent

PS I just found a copy of Carl's picture. Maybe he will reply to this post

post-101828-1219171088.jpg

Why balsa? Oak is like a rock and balsa is like, well, balsa. Not very sturdy. Why not use 1/8" Masonite or the very thin plywood sold in craft stores like Michael's? I think the plywood wood be perfect. It comes in a piece about 6" x 12" for about a buck as I recall.

Or contact Carl and ask for copies of his photos and advice on building the enclosure.

Good luck

Kent

PS I just found a copy of Carl's picture. Maybe he will reply to this post

I see your point on using balsa. I was going to use that because it wanted to make this as small as possible in order to take up minimal cabinet volume. Now that I see Carl's picture, I may use some 1/4" oak plywood that I have in stock or buy some 1/8" laminate.

Chris

I'd say the tea ball wouldn't work for those conservative resotorer's out there. The diameter of fiberglass is in the range of 5-20 microns and bits of broken fiberglass could easily work their way thru the sieve design of a tea ball.

Archived