Fix for AR Bookshelf Speakers?

Guest menogood

Guest menogood

Hey everyone,

I have with me a pair of AR speakers that, funnily enough, looks exactly like the ones Audiovox is selling (http://www.audiovox.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10001&storeId=10001&productId=13484&langId=-1).

When I plugged them in and played some music, there was some cracking/rattling/hitting noise on the bigger driver but that vanished after some weeks of use. During that time, I found it really odd that the bass was missing so I removed the mesh and the "stuff" around the paper cone was gone! It was all piled on the bottom of the mesh in broken pieces. The stuff was old flimsy paper-like material that was glued around the cone.

Is there ANY way to maybe replace the paper around it?

Thanks in advance,

Kasper

Hi Kasper and WELCOME to CSP

I checked that link and it is for the AV570 Multimedia Speakers. These are essentially the AR Powered Partners, later called the Advent Powered Partners. They are very nice and new ones cost about $270/pr. :

http://www.amazon.com/Advent-AV570-70-Watt...3444&sr=8-1

If you look in the "Library" section on the Home page, you will find a Powered Partners brochure form the '80s.

http://www.classicspeakerpages.net/library...rtner_brochure/

If I understand your description, and based on my own experience, you have the dreaded "foam rot". DO NOT PLAY THESE SPEAKERS!!! You will destroy the woofers.

I recently re-foamed a pair with excellent results. Because the woofers are small, it was a bit harder than refoaming a 10" woofer, but it can be done. I bought an excellent refoam kit from MSound for about $20 or so.

http://www.citlink.net/~msound/

Here are before n after shots.

Good luck

Kent

post-101828-1218643166.jpg

post-101828-1218643180.jpg

post-101828-1218643978.jpg

Guest menogood

Hi JKent,

Thank you so much for confirming that they can be repaired! After reading the instruction on the Msound website, and looking at the pictures you've attached to your message, I noticed that you didn't use a gasket to clamp the surround-edge shut. Is this acceptable for these particular AR speakers? And before I order, I want to know if a 4" surround-edge and a fiber cone is what you used to repair your Powered Partners.

Thanks again,

Kasper

Hi JKent,

Thank you so much for confirming that they can be repaired! After reading the instruction on the Msound website, and looking at the pictures you've attached to your message, I noticed that you didn't use a gasket to clamp the surround-edge shut. Is this acceptable for these particular AR speakers? And before I order, I want to know if a 4" surround-edge and a fiber cone is what you used to repair your Powered Partners.

Thanks again,

Kasper

Kasper

I just looked at my correspondence with MSound. I used a 4" kit and Paper 1-3/8" cap. btw-this has no flange.

If this is your first refoam job you may be in for some frustration. Send MSound precise measurements, or ask him what he sold to John (that's my 1st name) on about March 24 '08. We had a few emails back and forth. In one of my emails I wrote: "The surrounds worked out great and those smaller caps were just right. I'm sure glad I have experience with 8" and 10" refoams tho. Working with a 4" surround is a PITA! If these were my first attempt I would not do any more! But with this being my 5th or 6th pair, I feel like a pro at this point. " So proceed with caution.

The small woofer is trickier to work on. There is no gasket (most speakers do not have gaskets) and there is not a lot of flange on the surround. The adhesive sold by MSound is very good and somewhat forgiving. As you can see in the photo, I used lots of those real small spring clamps.

Patience and care are important. Follow the MSound instructions precisely. Email help is always available from them.

If you are all thumbs, you might consider sending the drivers out to Millersound, Carl or some other reputable shop. In theory, you could buy new woofers but I don't know the specs of the AR 4" woof so it's a crap shoot. Zaph found some 4" woofers under $20 apiece that he liked, but I don't know how they would be in the PP:

http://www.zaphaudio.com/smalltest/

OTOH if you are not confident about refoaming, the MCM 4" woofers are shielded like the AR and may be fine. The MCM 1853 is just $13 each. The refoam kit should be $22 including shipping for 2 surrounds. New woofers could be $26/pr + S/H. May be worthwhile IF they fit in the AR PP housings.

Hope I haven't confused you. :)

Kent

Here are dimensions of that MCM 1853. Be sure to check the original woofer's size to see if it will fit:

Dimensions:

•Overall frame diameter: 4.13" (pincushion)

•Required cutout: 3.66"

•Mounting depth: 2.80"

Kent

Guest menogood

Kent,

I can't thank you enough for all the help you've given me. I'm currently residing in Hong Kong and there is no Millersound or Carl store here :) Perhaps there are a few stores willing to do speaker repair, but I feel relatively better if I screw up my own woofers. Having to pay and receive a mediocre repair is not pleasant! So, I've finally decided to take the plunge and repair the stock woofer DIY style. Before I begin, would you recommend adding shims under any circumstances? What kind of adhesives are suitable for speakers?

If worse comes to worse (which hopefully will not ever happen), I'll locate a pair of MCM1853s or another alternative if they don't fit.

Kasper

Kent,

I can't thank you enough for all the help you've given me. I'm currently residing in Hong Kong and there is no Millersound or Carl store here :) Perhaps there are a few stores willing to do speaker repair, but I feel relatively better if I screw up my own woofers. Having to pay and receive a mediocre repair is not pleasant! So, I've finally decided to take the plunge and repair the stock woofer DIY style. Before I begin, would you recommend adding shims under any circumstances? What kind of adhesives are suitable for speakers?

If worse comes to worse (which hopefully will not ever happen), I'll locate a pair of MCM1853s or another alternative if they don't fit.

Kasper

Hi Kasper

Since most (all) speakers come from China these days, you may be in luck. You may well find something locally.

If you do the refoam, MSound supplies everything you need. You'll pay for overseas shipping, but the kits are light so it probably won't be too bad.

There is a little controversy about shims but I agree with MSound: They are needed.

The adhesive is similar to Alene's Tacky Glue but as I said, MSound supplies everything--right down to sandpaper, brushes and alcohol swabs.

Good luck!

Kent

Guest menogood

Hi Kent,

After disassembling the PPs with surprising ease, I'm feeling awfully squeamish on removing the two wires connecting the woofers to the power supply. How did you take them off and re-attach them afterwards?

Sorry to bother you some more, :)

Kasper

No bother at all! This is a hobby and the forum is to help each other out.

The red and black wires are pushed onto the woofer terminals with quick-connect terminals. Be sure to mark which terminal is red and which is black.

Kent

post-101828-1219071335.jpg

Archived