Thread to Track Loaner BSC

Pete B

• 3 months later...
Guest Puma Cat
Read through the link I gave you. It will answer your questions. After that, if you still have more, contact Pete B. via the PM system within CSP.

Cool, thanks, I'll read it through tonight.

Guest Puma Cat
Read through the link I gave you. It will answer your questions. After that, if you still have more, contact Pete B. via the PM system within CSP.

Well, I read the thread but I for one cannot figure out how to build this thing...a picture or photo would be really helpful.

Per my OP, is this loaner BCS available to try out?

Well, I read the thread but I for one cannot figure out how to build this thing...a picture or photo would be really helpful.

Per my OP, is this loaner BCS available to try out?

Yes it is available.

Can you tell us what equipment you're using

to drive your Advents?

How are they positioned in the room?

Are they Originals, New, or 5002/5012?

Thanks

Guest Puma Cat
Yes it is available.

Can you tell us what equipment you're using

to drive your Advents?

How are they positioned in the room?

Are they Originals, New, or 5002/5012?

Thanks

Hi, Pete.

They are original Large Advents, with the Newer Advent woofer installed AFAIK (the 9.5" metal framed woofer). They were restored by Stephen Menstell, who restores New England progeny speakers and sells them on eBay. My listening area is small, as I live in a small townhouse.

The Advents are being driven by a Rega Planar 3/SME III/Grado Reference Sonata into a Tube Box II phono stage which is currently connected to my Arcam AVR280, which is providing current to the Advents. When my recently purchased used NAD 1300 preamp and HK Citation 12 amp get back from repair (yes, the curse of buying old, used equipment), they will be driving the Advents.

Here are some photos showing the layout and the woofer. The speakers are sitting on makeshift interim stands that raise them about 4" off the floor. The rear of the speakers are roughly 2ft from the short "walls", which are at an angle relative to the back plane of the speakers. Given the constraints of my listening area, there's very little I do with respect to changing their position. The speakers are about 4 feet apart, and I listen to them about 7-8 from the speakers. I can't move the right speaker out very much further w/o it impeding access to the stairs which lead into/out of the townhouse.

Advent2-1.jpg

Advent%20Woofer-1.jpg

Regards,

Stephen.

Guest Puma Cat
Nice restoration and setup there. Are you running the Arcam in 2ch mode or

surround sound with additional speakers?

Hi Pete,

The nice thing about the Arcam is that it will switch modes on the fly depending on the source.

When I am watching Blu-Ray content on my PS3, it will automatically switch to Dolby 5.1. When I switch

to a high-level analog RCA input and select that input from the remote, it will switch to 2-channel "Stereo" mode. So, when listening to music, I

using the Arcam in 2-ch Stereo mode.

Hi Pete,

The nice thing about the Arcam is that it will switch modes on the fly depending on the source.

When I am watching Blu-Ray content on my PS3, it will automatically switch to Dolby 5.1. When I switch

to a high-level analog RCA input and select that input from the remote, it will switch to 2-channel "Stereo" mode. So, when listening to music, I

using the Arcam in 2-ch Stereo mode.

Yes, of course. Are there jumpers in back that allow you to put EQ such as the BSC

between the front CH pre amp and power amp?

My point is that if you put it in a tape monitor loop it will EQ all the channels, if you are

using surround speakers, and they are also Advents then this would not be an issue.

It is also not an issue if you are not using surround speakers. You could certainly try

it and turn off the tape monitor when in surround mode, then use it, if you like it, with

your new 2-ch pre and power amps.

• 11 months later...
  • 2 months later...
The latest user of the loaner is ready to ship, anyone want it next?

Comment on the sound: http://www.classicspeakerpages.net/IP.Boar...ost&p=75475

If the loaner is still available, I would like to try it. I've read the thread and tried building a box but Im not sure the values are correct, I'm not getting the desired result.

If the loaner is still available, I would like to try it. I've read the thread and tried building a box but Im not sure the values are correct, I'm not getting the desired result.

Yes it is available, but first can you tell us a bit about your setup?

Are you using it at line level or pre to power amp?

What is the amp model?

Did you notice that the RC shunt to ground is the output connection

not the input connection of the BSC?

Yes it is available, but first can you tell us a bit about your setup?

Are you using it at line level or pre to power amp?

What is the amp model?

Did you notice that the RC shunt to ground is the output connection

not the input connection of the BSC?

Pete, I have stacked New Large advents, I am using a Pioneer SX 737 to push them. I have tried running my version of the box, thru my tape monitor in-out and direct between the cd player and the receiver., both ways with little to no difference in the tone or volume . I printed a pic off the original thread (http://www.classicspeakerpages.net/IP.Board/index.php?showtopic=2692&st=100)( POST #110) that shows a big orange drop cap for each channel, are they .oo47uf? This is the circuit I used to design my box.

My version of the box had 4.7k resistors (2 per channel), 4 total in the box, and .0047uf caps (2 per channel), 4 total.

As an experiment I replaced the .0047s with some orange drop 223s I had laying around for guitar repairs, this did have an effect, highs were cut way back, too much for my taste. I guess at this point I'm just wondering if I built the original box correctly.

Thanks for the help.

Steve

Pete, I have stacked New Large advents, I am using a Pioneer SX 737 to push them. I have tried running my version of the box, thru my tape monitor in-out and direct between the cd player and the receiver., both ways with little to no difference in the tone or volume . I printed a pic off the original thread (http://www.classicspeakerpages.net/IP.Board/index.php?showtopic=2692&st=100)( POST #110) that shows a big orange drop cap for each channel, are they .oo47uf? This is the circuit I used to design my box.

My version of the box had 4.7k resistors (2 per channel), 4 total in the box, and .0047uf caps (2 per channel), 4 total.

As an experiment I replaced the .0047s with some orange drop 223s I had laying around for guitar repairs, this did have an effect, highs were cut way back, too much for my taste. I guess at this point I'm just wondering if I built the original box correctly.

Thanks for the help.

Steve

Hi Steve,

The cap in the shunt leg to ground should be .047 uF not .0047 uF,

this will make the difference. You are still welcome to try the

loaner if that doesn't fix it. 6 dB might be a bit too much for a stacked

pair, but you can also find the values tabulated in 1 dB steps.

Try what you have and go from there. Please let us know what you

think!

Hi Steve,

The cap in the shunt leg to ground should be .047 uF not .0047 uF,

this will make the difference. You are still welcome to try the

loaner if that doesn't fix it. 6 dB might be a bit too much for a stacked

pair, but you can also find the values tabulated in 1 dB steps.

Try what you have and go from there. Please let us know what you

think!

Pete,

I tried the .047 and got little to no effect, so, according to the table I can pick up (4) .082 caps and replace the .047s, keep the 4.7k resistors and get 3db instead of 6db. Correct?

I am operating under the assumption that all 4 caps have the same value and all 4 resistors have the same value to get a given value; 6db, 4 db etc. Correct?

Thanks for helping a novice.

Steve

Pete,

I tried the .047 and got little to no effect, so, according to the table I can pick up (4) .082 caps and replace the .047s, keep the 4.7k resistors and get 3db instead of 6db. Correct?

I am operating under the assumption that all 4 caps have the same value and all 4 resistors have the same value to get a given value; 6db, 4 db etc. Correct?

Thanks for helping a novice.

Steve

First let's make sure that the 6dB version works, it will be easier to

hear. Make sure that the .047 is in the series RC shunt network to

ground. Then if you still do not hear it, swap inputs and outputs.

It will not make much of any difference if these are backwards and

this is probably the issue.

Here's a pictorial view that is back up - it was not showing for some time:

http://www.classicspeakerpages.net/IP.Boar...ost&p=82804

Note that R2 - C2 are the output side, and C2 is the larger cap.

• 2 weeks later...
Here's a pictorial view that is back up - it was not showing for some time:

http://baselaudiolab.com/BSC_PICTOR_CR.JPG

Note that R2 - C2 are the output side, and C2 is the larger cap.

Fixed link address:

http://baselaudiolab.com/BSC_PICTOR_CR.JPG

Archived