Anybody heard from AB Tech Services lately?

genek

Guest winters860
Their domain expired last month.

I called them and got their machine. Larry at VintageAR hasn't carried their AR-3a tweeters in some time. This is adding up to no good. I had planned to get at least one pair of those tweeters. I hope I didn't wait too long...

Carl, any idea what crossover mod, if any, these would require if used in a 3a?

Download this report I wrote a while back after testing 6 of these.

The study shows a 4 uF cap would be a better choice than the original 6 and a parallel .15 to .17 mH coil will help protect from damage at high volumes.

PE_tweeter_test_report.pdf

Download this report I wrote a while back after testing 6 of these.

The study shows a 4 uF cap would be a better choice than the original 6 and a parallel .15 to .17 mH coil will help protect from damage at high volumes.

AB was offering their 3a replacement tweeter + a 4 ohm resistor as replacements for the 2ax and 5, do you expect this setup would be similar, or would an entirely different crossover mod likely be needed? Is that adapter ring you're providing metal or wood?

I might want to salt a pair away for my 2ax's. I do have a spare pair of tweeters, but they're front-wired and my speakers were the later back-wired units. Not sure which of these would be more of a pain to do if I ever needed to replace tweeters.

AB was offering their 3a replacement tweeter + a 4 ohm resistor as replacements for the 2ax and 5, do you expect this setup would be similar, or would an entirely different crossover mod likely be needed? Is that adapter ring you're providing metal or wood?

I might want to salt a pair away for my 2ax's. I do have a spare pair of tweeters, but they're front-wired and my speakers were the later back-wired units. Not sure which of these would be more of a pain to do if I ever needed to replace tweeters.

The mod I recommended for the PE tweeter will work for the 2ax or 5 as I described it. The adapter plate I can provide is of two types. Both are fabricated from 1/4 inch MDF. One is plain and is intended to be glued in place. The other comes with 3 mounting holes (for flat hd. screws) that match the original screw holes.

PM me for pricing.

abtechservices.com is back online as of tonight.

I guess somebody went on vacation and forgot to renew the domain before they left.

I guress that's good news for those who want to pay the price for a right sized drop-in. $80 from Simply speakers and about $65 from ABT.

Guest winters860

Good to hear AB Tech is still in the game.

AR-3a replacement tweeters are currently out of stock, but will be back later this year, possibly as soon as late September.

I guress that's good news for those who want to pay the price for a right sized drop-in. $80 from Simply speakers and about $65 from ABT.

For those of us who have other models than the ones that use the *three* AR drivers that Simply Speakes carries, there are fewer choices than two. :)

• 1 month later...
Guest winters860

I just spoke to somebody at AB Tech Services who said they would be out of the AR-3a replacement tweeter "for a long time" - late February at the soonest. Aarrrgh! I shouldn't have taken their availability for granted. It looks like I'll be implementing a different solution in my project 3a pair.

Archived