Forum Topics

Guest ufop

Hi From Jeff (ufop)

Newbie here...since i am new to this and new to ar's...what is the main difference between the 3 & the 3a...i was initially interested in a pair of ar5's but now think i would like to purchase a pair of ar3's from a local person here...and yes they do need some work but i am willing to do that...thx much...i am extremely pc challened so i hope this finds its way to the proper area of discussion.

Hi From Jeff (ufop)

Newbie here...since i am new to this and new to ar's...what is the main difference between the 3 & the 3a...i was initially interested in a pair of ar5's but now think i would like to purchase a pair of ar3's from a local person here...and yes they do need some work but i am willing to do that...thx much...i am extremely pc challened so i hope this finds its way to the proper area of discussion.

Hi Jeff

This is the right area and I'm surprised no one has jumped in. Maybe it was the topic heading you chose. If you used something like; HELP! What's the best AR speaker?" that might arouse some debate! :)

As I wrote previously, take a look at the top of the AR section. Download and peruse the AR3a Restoration booklet. It is excellent and informative and much will be applicable to your 5s.

According to people whom I respect, the 5s are super nice and rival the 3a as the "best" AR speakers.

Maybe some other members can comment on this.

Kent

If you like the sound of early AR speakers, they are all similar and worth looking into.

The physical differences can be found here in the forum, but basically the AR-3 has a different tweeter and crossover than the 3a.

Roy

"and rival the 3a as the "best" AR speakers."

As a "new" LST owner who directly compared my just-recapped LSTs with my just- recapped AR3a's, I would disagree that the 3a is ARs best speaker! But I will readily admit that I used to believe that... :)

Hi From Jeff (ufop)

The 3 and 3a models both had many changes over their lifetimes, but the basic difference is that the 3a had a .75" soft dome tweeter vs the 3's larger hard dome tweeter, and the crossover frequencies were different.

The 5 is essentially the same as the 3a but with a smaller 10" woofer and is 8 ohms rather than 4 as the 3/3a are.

Archived