Los Angeles repair options for AR-3as?

Guest tk73

I live in Los Angeles and I've just been offered a pair of AR-3as from a friend. One of the speakers apparently doesn't work properly - it plays very very quietly, for some reason I'm not sure of. I'm new to the Acoustic Research thing.

I'm looking for a place in LA where they can take a look and fix them up. Can anyone offer a tip?

Thanks!

t

Guest rek 2-3-4
I live in Los Angeles and I've just been offered a pair of AR-3as from a friend. One of the speakers apparently doesn't work properly - it plays very very quietly, for some reason I'm not sure of. I'm new to the Acoustic Research thing.

I'm looking for a place in LA where they can take a look and fix them up. Can anyone offer a tip?

Thanks!

t

Speaking as an electronic idiot, I can tell you that they are usually not that hard to repair. I've done various repairs on my 3a's, my 2ax's, and my 4's. I am sure more gifted forum members will respond to you, but I suspect the pots on the back of the speaker have gone bad. They can be fixed or replaced. Try adjusting the pots while you listen to the tweeter and midrange with a toilet paper tube over them. If you hear no changes, it is likely the pots.

At the top of the AR portion of the forum, you will find an outstanding AR-3a restoration article. Give it a read and try some of the test suggestions.

If you're not into speaker repair and don't want to work on them as rek2-3-4 suggested, you can try Orange County speaker Repair in Garden Grove. www.speakerrepair.com

They have an 800 number available at their website. They have a brick and mortar storefront you can visit. Suggest you ask for Bryan and tell him Carl's Custom Loudspeakers recommended them.

If you're not into speaker repair and don't want to work on them as rek2-3-4 suggested, you can try Orange County speaker Repair in Garden Grove. www.speakerrepair.com

They have an 800 number available at their website. They have a brick and mortar storefront you can visit. Suggest you ask for Bryan and tell him Carl's Custom Loudspeakers recommended them.

Thank you Carl, I'll give them a try.

Thank you Carl, I'll give them a try.

Hi there;

If you are not comfortable trying to troubleshoot the problem yourself, do not proceed without some support from the members.

You can damage the grille cloths and or frames if you try to remove them, without due care.

For repairs, especially speaker cabinet's complete, do not ship them without reading postings here first.

A lot of fine old classic speakers have been completely destroyed by poor packaging and or extremely rough handling in transit.

Always try for a local pickup and or drop off service depot, if available.

A wonderful classic speaker system, good luck.

Vern

Archived