found a pair of AR2ax :-)

Guest r-l-b

Guest r-l-b

Someone had put them out for garbage so no I have a nice pair of AR2ax - a good reason to join this fine forum and here is my first post

Anyway the pictures I have found on the web all show a more modern looking woofer than the ones in my AR2ax.

My woofers look like the the first woofer used in the early AR3 - it is not foam but probably some kind of varnished cloth? The paper cone also looks like the first AR3 woofer. Anyone here that can confirm this

I hooked the up and after working hard on the mid and high adjusters on the back adding some contact-cleaning fluid wonderful sound emerged.

I am a vintage hi-fi nut and love the sound of my tannoys, rogers and coral speakers and it usually takes a lot to get me to keep a set of speakers, but after listening to these AR2ax I must the they are here to stay

on the back there are still some original papers with serial numbers 36478 and 36472

The have been in a smokers home but I think it has been a pipe-smokers home because they have the heavy tan but the smell is more sweet like a mix of Virginia and Burley Cut Plug

When I get the time I will restore them (looking closely at the AR3a restoring link here) but until then its coltrane, monk and miles

• 2 weeks later...
Someone had put them out for garbage so no I have a nice pair of AR2ax - a good reason to join this fine forum and here is my first post

Anyway the pictures I have found on the web all show a more modern looking woofer than the ones in my AR2ax.

on the back there are still some original papers with serial numbers 36478 and 36472

When I get the time I will restore them

Hi r-l-b

Welcome to the forum, where you will find all the information you need to restore your AR-2ax speakers. And congratulation on the lucky find.

In this thread you can see some pictures of your early model of the AR-2ax speaker, you are asking for:

http://www.classicspeakerpages.net/IP.Boar...?showtopic=4065

I think yours are made in Eurpope (Holland), but you can check this by looking at the cabinet US made speaker cabinets typically had a plywood (krydsfiner) back plate, whereas the European cabinets had chipboard (spånplade). Regarding production date, if yours are US-made, they are from the mid sixties. If they are European made, it is a little more tricky to say, but you will most likely be able to find a manufacturing date stamp on the drivers or the capacitors, most likely they are late 60'ies with the drivers you have in yours.

If unrestored, your speakers will most likely have a yellow box capacitor (paper/wax) which has often changed value by now, typically increased capacitance. It is probably a double capacitor, a 4 and a 6 uF in one. Therefore, before really firing up the old ladies, you should check/replace the capacitors in your 2ax.

If the rubber sealant on your cloth surrounds has dried out, you can find info on how to restore them here:

http://www.classicspeakerpages.net/IP.Boar...?showtopic=4044

BRgds Klaus

Guest rek 2-3-4
Hi r-l-b

Welcome to the forum, where you will find all the information you need to restore your AR-2ax speakers. And congratulation on the lucky find.

In this thread you can see some pictures of your early model of the AR-2ax speaker, you are asking for:

I think yours are made in Eurpope (Holland), but you can check this by looking at the cabinet US made speaker cabinets typically had a plywood (krydsfiner) back plate, whereas the European cabinets had chipboard (spånplade). Regarding production date, if yours are US-made, they are from the mid sixties. If they are European made, it is a little more tricky to say, but you will most likely be able to find a manufacturing date stamp on the drivers or the capacitors, most likely they are late 60'ies with the drivers you have in yours.

If unrestored, your speakers will most likely have a yellow box capacitor (paper/wax) which has often changed value by now, typically increased capacitance. It is probably a double capacitor, a 4 and a 6 uF in one. Therefore, before really firing up the old ladies, you should check/replace the capacitors in your 2ax.

If the rubber sealant on your cloth surrounds has dried out, you can find info on how to restore them here:

BRgds Klaus

Klaus--your information is astounding as usual. I bought my AR-2ax's at the Ramstein Air Force Base audio club back in 1973. I never could figure out how they could be shipped to Europe and sold for the same price as the states, or a little lower in this case. Made in Holland. I'll be damned. That probably also explains the dark brown grill cloth they have instead of the normal light ones. Cool thing about the dark brown, I've never had to replace them or even clean them for that matter.

Thanks for the information.

Hi r-l-b

BRgds Klaus

Thank you very much Klaus - I almost look forward getting started with the restoring process

I think my speakers have a plywood back as well as front but i will have to check this up

I will probably be back with lots of Q's when first I get started - for now my work is using my spare time

best regards

r-l-b (Ruben)

Archived