Model Six Grille?

Analogman

Was the damn thing glued on? I was under the impression that KLH only used "Velcro"?

I'm trying to get one off, patiently.

Still, I'm loosening the miter joints.

I have dozens of angled tools for just this sort of endeavor...

Won't budge.

My buddy, from whom I got this single, literally destroyed it's mate out of frustration......

I rescued this one.

I'm beginning to think this was the result of a former owner and not KLH; I've removed numerous "AR" grilles, all with success. but I've NEVER encountered anything like this.

The grille cloth is in good shape but is an extremely loose weave; I don't know enough about KLH to determine if it's factory or not.

If it's not original, I would have no problem slicing it open to allow some leverage from the inside to pop this grille, as I have some better, more authentic looking cloth anyway.

Did they glue these thing on this severely at the factory?

Or am I struggling with someone else's misguided mistake?

Regards,

Craig

Guest fourwheels0

from the research i've done it sounds like you have an early version of the six. the grills were not meant to come off and the woofer and tweeter were epoxyed in place and cannot be removed without destroying the cabinet. from what i have seen and read people with these that wanted to recap them cut a hole in the back to gain access.

from the research i've done it sounds like you have an early version of the six. the grills were not meant to come off and the woofer and tweeter were epoxyed in place and cannot be removed without destroying the cabinet. from what i have seen and read people with these that wanted to recap them cut a hole in the back to gain access.

Thanks! How does the "Six" stack up? Particularly rare?

I ask, as this cab already suffered from one loose joint and need to be re-glued from the inside and clamped.

If I'm not experimenting on a particularly rare or valuable cab, I'll cut the cloth and proceed; see what happens.

Thanks again for so rapid a reply!

Craig

Guest fourwheels0

i'm not sure how rare they are but i've seen more than a few cut up lol. the problem with them was IF you had a problem you had to send them back to klh for repairs. i guess alot of people complained (klh employee's too i'm sure about repairing them) so they stopped the epoxying method of building them. plus if i recall it was an exspensive process. do you have both of them? and why do you want to take the grills off?. now that i think about it I'M NOT SURE BUT the grill might be part of the integeral design of the cabinet and epoxyed inplace or atleast the grill board. hopefully someone with more knowlege of them will chime in. i've done a bunch of research but i have the later version of the sixs with removable grill and screw in speakers.

i'm not sure how rare they are but i've seen more than a few cut up lol. the problem with them was IF you had a problem you had to send them back to klh for repairs. i guess alot of people complained (klh employee's too i'm sure about repairing them) so they stopped the epoxying method of building them. plus if i recall it was an exspensive process. do you have both of them? and why do you want to take the grills off?. now that i think about it I'M NOT SURE BUT the grill might be part of the integeral design of the cabinet and epoxyed inplace or atleast the grill board. hopefully someone with more knowlege of them will chime in. i've done a bunch of research but i have the later version of the sixs with removable grill and screw in speakers.

No, I only have the one. I was going to get the cap values and inspect things. And, as I said, address the one joint that came to me with a minor problem (need glue and clamping).

I haven't screwed up the box, at least not badly. There is evidence now of the fact that pressure's been applied at the points where I had tools.

I just wanted the grille out of the way for purpose of refinishing.

I tend to go all the way.

I should have asked this question after things didn't pop in 5 minutes. Ah well, live and learn.

Now I don't know what I want to do. I crunched a few small spots on the grille under the cloth. The cloth is such a coarse weave it doesn't show, but I know it's there. I'd also like to clean the cloth and re-stretch it.

I've created a project

Just tried it out (should have done THAT first). Sounds OK doing left channel duty with my AR-5 on the right. A little rough on the top compared to the "AR", but it functions well and sounds nice.

Thanks again,

Craig

Well, this will require further thought.

When I say the miter joints are "loose" it's only because will trying to persuade the grilles to "pop" and flexing my pry tools, I could see the joint in the veneer on the front opening slightly, along with the light creaking associated with disturbing 40 year old glue.

I'd really love to get inside these with some caulk, surround sealer and fresh caps, but I'm not going to cut a hole in the cab.

KHL must have had an approach less aggressive than this? As for the drivers, I feel confident I can finesse any adhesives involved to give it up.

For the purpose of warranty repair, you think the grilles were just sacrificial?

Any input on this one would be welcome.

Maybe another alternative is to sell this one to someone that needs it?

Input will be well received,

Craig

Guest fourwheels0

i have not heard or seen anyone able to get the drivers out successfully. i beleive the driver housing is actually part of the cabinet and epoxyed in with wooden supports from inside. i think you are sol on this one. kloss had a bunch of very strange ideas when he first made the six's and redesigned them after seeing first hand the problems they were having. seeing you only have the one i'd donate to someone or have someone with first hand knowlege fix what you on it. sorry but thats all i can think of.

read this to see what your getting into. http://www.classicspeakerpages.net/IP.Boar...?showtopic=2515

Thank you for your help, sincerely.

This speaker is in very nice shape and sounds superb.

Think I'll post in on "the list" and see what happens.

I've got more speakers right now than anyone could ever need and no justifiable reason to hang on to a single (space).

No matter how nice or interesting.

Thank you again,

Craig

Archived