AR18 refoamed but not with foam and some other things :p

knife edge

Hello,

I'm new here. I have a pair of AR18, they are in good condition, except for some things:

- the little dome of one tweeter is slightly squeezed, I would like to restore it but I don't know how to do

- one speaker has the driver for sure originals, but with a strange color on their paper surface, a sort of light brown, as they were exposed to something (see photo below)

Again, I would like to have the drivers in their original "gray" color, but I don't know what causes that strange coloration

- I've bought them already refoamed, but it's not foam, it's.. I think in english it's called rubber ("gomma" in italian). It will do a great difference in sound?!?

This last thing it's the one for which I'm most concearned, the speakers "sound good", but I've never heard an "totally original" AR18 to compare..

Someone can enlighten me? :rolleyes:

thanks

here are the images:

here you can see the different color:

ar181tr7.jpg

here you can see the "strange-colored" one and the rubber bass surrounding:

ar182bj7.jpg

Thanks

Andrew

here you can see the "strange-colored" one and the rubber bass surrounding:

Hi Andrew

The second picture is missing (at least from where I am sitting), so judged from the other picture, I would say that it looks like the light brown tweeter has been exposed to sunlight and the other not.

The compliance of rubber surrounds is normally different (stiffer) than foam, and this could change the resonance frequency of the driver to a higher value, meaning that you will loose something in the bottom.

The dimple in the tweeter cone could be be without importance (other than cosmetic), but I have succesfully repaired dimples very carefully with a needle, sometimes after applying a small amount of water first to loosen up the paper.

BRgds Klaus

Hi Andrew

The second picture is missing (at least from where I am sitting), so judged from the other picture, I would say that it looks like the light brown tweeter has been exposed to sunlight and the other not.

The compliance of rubber surrounds is normally different (stiffer) than foam, and this could change the resonance frequency of the driver to a higher value, meaning that you will loose something in the bottom.

Hi Klaus,

the second picture is missing due to imageshack issues.. anyway, it doesn't tell much more than the other picture. Probably is sunlight, yes, so I think there is not hope to have the good old gray colour.

For the surrounds, I have to find out a way to measure at least the resonance of the speaker to see how far is from the original one.

The dimple in the tweeter cone could be be without importance (other than cosmetic), but I have succesfully repaired dimples very carefully with a needle, sometimes after applying a small amount of water first to loosen up the paper.

BRgds Klaus

Can you please explain me better how to use the needle to restore the dimple? From the outside or the inside?

(and yes it's only cosmetic, as the tweeter seems to work fine)

thanks

Andrea

Can you please explain me better how to use the needle to restore the dimple? From the outside or the inside?

From the outside, I have managed to "lift" the impressed parts of the cone carefully with a needle tip.

BRgds Klaus

Archived