Dynaco A25 - Crossover Removal help

FrankC

Hi,

Great forum - I am learning alot.

I am trying to decide the best method of removing the crossover, while keeping it intact.

Does anyone have a method they can share?

Thanks!

Frank

I do not suggest removing it for normal repairs. Most are glued in - questionable if you'll be able to reuse it.

Fine if your doing an upgrade such as using a thicker wood or a new terminal plate there.

Hi Pete,

Thanks.

I left it in place and did a recap today (with assistance). I used Kimber Caps in both units.

It helped a great deal, but I onbly replaced the 5 uf capacitors, I did not add the additional cap you mentioned in your post (C2).

Are you still running that C2 mod in your A25's?

Frank

I do not suggest removing it for normal repairs. Most are glued in - questionable if you'll be able to reuse it.

Fine if your doing an upgrade such as using a thicker wood or a new terminal plate there.

Guest K-MAN

I just finished redoing the crossovers in my A-25 speakers and can see why people recommend not removing them! lol The thing was epoxied in there and I wrecked the board removing it so I had to make a new one from hardboard I got from Home Depot. I must say the new one looks better but for the other one I just replaced the capacitor since making the other one took some time. I was impressed with the improved sound from the Dayton caps, I also added disconnects to the internal speaker wire to make working on them easier next time, don't know if there bad or not for sound quality.

DSC01344-1.jpg

Hi Pete,

Thanks.

I left it in place and did a recap today (with assistance). I used Kimber Caps in both units.

It helped a great deal, but I onbly replaced the 5 uf capacitors, I did not add the additional cap you mentioned in your post (C2).

Are you still running that C2 mod in your A25's?

Frank

Hi Frank,

These A25s are not my main speakers so I removed the mod and put them

back to stock to have an unmodified example.

All I can say is try the mod if you have the time and interest, I always felt the

A25s were lacking in air and HF extension and this helps some. It is really

very minor.

Archived