AR Integrated Amp Question

ToastedAlmond

Are the left and right speaker outputs on this amp swapped around? Does left mean "stage left" instead of "listener left"?

I have noticed a total reversal of soundstage when making normal speaker connections to this amp. It is unmistakeable. Left channel INPUT signals are NOT what comes out of the left speaker output terminals. I did not purchase this amp new. Is it possible someone was inside this thing and 180ed everything?

In case I'm coming in broken here, I have Buddy Rich "Live at Buddy's Place" from the 70's. For 25 yrs the guitarist has been way off to listeners right side (great soundstage). Not through my AR Integrated. Way off to listener left. This isn't right/correct. Help.

Toasted Almond

• 2 months later...

Dear Mr. "Almond":

I know someone who was a production manager at AR and was quite familiar with the AR amp. I'll ask him your L/R question next week.

BTW, I am also a Buddy Rich aficionado. My favorite album (as if you could pick just one) is Mercy, Mercy. But the best Rich album for recording quality is an obscure album entitled "Buddy Rich: The Greatest drummer that ever lived with...The best band I ever had."

It's on DCC Jazz, no. DJZ-606, produced by Norman Schwartz. The version of Horace Silver's "Cape Verdean Blues" is incredible, both sonically and musically.

Steve F.

Guest dogmeninreno

Hey, Toasted. I may be way off base here but have you tried the channels one at a time and heard the sound out? Maybe you are asking if the amp was built that way? I don't know about that. Maybe Tom Tyson? Dale

Appreciate the responses.

Steve,

I have the cd you speak of. That was one of the last ones he did. I like the cd. Hope this isn't blasphemous, but I like Maynard Ferguson's "Birdland" a little better than Buddy's. "Mercy" is one of my favorites also. Absolute favorite has got to be "Big Swing Face". I also think it is one of the best recorded cd's I own. Big, fat, and LUSH horns on "Norwegian Wood". "Love for Sale" too! That is one I would take to the proverbial deserted island. In case you're not aware of it, "Live at Buddy's Place" IS available on cd. It is titled "Tuff Dude", and is/was released in 1989 on LRC LTD. It is their catalog number CDC 7972. It is song for song the "Live at Buddy's Place" recording. I think LRC LTD. was an offshoot of Denon Recordings, as the only other place I've seen that version of "Jumpin' at the Woodside" was on a Denon sampler. Have you by any chance heard the bite that is making the internet rounds? On the tour bus, during a break, he absolutely destroys his band. Threatens to "leave them there at the end of the show" if they stink as bad after the break as before the break. It is unmistakeably him. The inflection in his voice is all Buddy. When he finishes cursing them out, and "dismisses" them, it is a mad rush to get off that bus and away from him. Sounds like a damn stampede. Hope nobody got trampled. I guess somebody had a cassette recorder going. My wife downloaded it onto disc for me. (Yes, I am completely computer illiterate. The whole concept bores me to tears.)

Summer 1976, I caught him live at one of his outdoor free concerts in East Islip on New York's Long Island. During a break, I asked him if I could have one of his sticks. BAD MOVE! The look I got would've melted steel. It was as if I said something about his mother. Then he mumbled "These things cost money man." Yeah right Buddy. As if you paid for a stick since 1935. I really miss that guy.

Dale,

I am sure of this. It completely confounds me. On every other system I have, or HAVE had, Jack Wilkins guitar solo is way off to the right (as you face the speaks). Not with this amp. That is the piece of music that clued me in. Further experimentation with other familiar pieces confirmed it. Consequently, I have the speaker cables reversed.

I also have some bad news about those EPI 100's. EVERYTHING inside them is trashed. In addition to the surrounds being rotted, neither speaker makes A SOUND when driven. Tweeters included. Whoever trashed these, did a complete job. Additionally, they both won't fit into a reasonable size box for shipping. Two separate shipping cartons will be required. I'm sure you'll agree that at this point the whole idea of shipping them would NOT be cost effective. I fly for a living. I'll hang onto these, and when next I get out to Reno, I'll hand deliver them. Deal?

Toasted Almond

> I have the cd you speak of. That was one of the last ones

>he did. I like the cd. Hope this isn't blasphemous, but I

>like Maynard Ferguson's "Birdland" a little better than

>Buddy's... Absolute favorite has got to be "Big Swing Face"... >"Live at Buddy's Place" IS available

>on cd. It is titled "Tuff Dude"... Have you by any chance heard the > bite that is making the internet rounds? On the tour bus, during > a break, he absolutely destroys his band. Threatens to "leave > them there at the end of the show" if they stink as bad after the > break as before the break. It is

>unmistakeably him...I guess somebody had a cassette recorder going...

Dear Toast,

No argument about Freguson's Birdland--his version is the big-band standard. I also agree that BSF is a superb album. I'll look for Tuff Dude--didn't realize it was the same as Live at Buddy's Place.

I haven't heard the tape, but I read about it in one of the jazz mags (I think Jazz Times). Apparently, it was secretly taped by a young trombonist from Australia. Just reading the tape, it sounds like classic Buddy. Can you imagine being a young musician in his band?

Well-recorded big-band music is great music to evaluate speakers. Full-spectrum sound, mostly natural, acoustic instruments, repeating bass line, ensemble playing, all the elements needed to critique a speaker. I think the naturalness and musicality of a 3a or 11 is readily apparent with a good Rich, Ferguson or J-L recording.

Steve F.

Toasted,

I spoke with my friend, who was the production manager at AR for the amp, tuner, and receiver.

The speaker outputs were definitely NOT swapped around in the design. He feels your unit was probably serviced, and something was inadvertently switched in the process.

His suggestion is to contact Alex Barsotti at AB Tech Services at 1-800-225-9847 or 1-508-478-9800. Alex is in touch with one of the original AR amplifier electrical engineers, who still performs repairs on the units.

Steve F,

Archived