Couple ?'s regarding AR-2ax restore

Guest mrtie

Guest mrtie

Hi first post!

I just recently discovered a pair of early model A2x(68 or 69, cloth woofer surround, brown looking tweeter) in my fathers basement, and am in the process of restoring them. On one the woofer surround is malformed and my father told the reason he stopped using them in the early 80's was due to the voice coil burning out on that woofer. I have already sourced a replacement woofer from the ebay. Other then that I tweaked around with the second speaker and found I could get the tweeter working on certain spot on the pots on the back but the mid is not coming to life, I'm assuming in my reading that this is due to corrosion and that the mid itself is probably alive and well. I have been testing this speaker using a old pioneer SA-9500, which even with the lack of mid the speaker at least lows and highs sounds pretty impressive, the lows sound really nice without being like insanely unrealistically bassy. So I guess my couple questions are do you think I should just gut the boxes and try to dremel/contact cleaner the pots? or is there better solution or source for a modern set that won't corrode as easily? Also what would you think would be a good amp/receiver for the pair(I can't take the 9500 as it is powering my fathers klipsh kg4's) also I would be looking for the cheap side of things and while it doesn't have to classic it would be cool if it was? I have not been able to find the grills for the speakers and am wondering if anyone has had any luck just attaching a nice cream or off white speaker grill cloth to the speaker? Lastly when I opened up the first speaker with the malformed woofer and tried to move the fiberglass(I'm assuming it is) around it is all extremely brittle and falling apart, once i open the both up I assume i should replace the filler, would fiberglass be the preferred method or could I use say polyfil or some other material?

Thanks so much

Kevin

Welcome to CSP. You are in the right place for advice on AR speakers.

I suggest you first try to clean the pots before buying replacements. Download the AR3a restoration document. There's some good advice applicable to your 2x's regarding cleaning the pots and stuffing. It appears you have rockwool stuffing. It's nasty to work with and I strongly recomment you trash all of it and replace it with Owens Corning pink fiberglass. You seem to have Alnico woofers from your description which indicates you should re-stuff with 28 oz. of fiberglass. Suggest you buy a roll of R-13 fiberglass at your local HW store. Get the width used for 16 inch on center studs. Cut two lengths off the roll, each 8 feet, 9 inches long and strip off the backing paper. When you ready to re-stuff, break up the FG into large clumps and stuff uniformly throught the box.

Any receiver of 100 or so watts per channel will drive those speakers nicely. Try and find a used one for sale cheap. Sansui, Sony, Yamaha, etc.....

If you find you need replacement rheostats, Vintage AR sells them and I do as well. But try cleaning them first.

I just recently discovered a pair of early model A2x(68 or 69, cloth woofer surround, brown looking tweeter) in my fathers basement, and am in the process of restoring them.

Hello,

For a general idea of the restoration process, the first thing to do is to download (and study!) the "Restoring the AR-3a" document, available from the library section of this site:

http://www.classicspeakerpages.net/library...ring_the_ar-3a/

Though referring specifically to the AR-3a, many of your concerns and questions, regarding your vintage AR speakers, will be addressed and answered by the information contained within that excellent document. It is, quite simply, the best place to begin.

I'm sure others here will continue to offer detailed help and further advice.

Robert_S

• 1 month later...
Welcome to CSP. You are in the right place for advice on AR speakers.

I suggest you first try to clean the pots before buying replacements. Download the AR3a restoration document. There's some good advice applicable to your 2x's regarding cleaning the pots and stuffing. It appears you have rockwool stuffing. It's nasty to work with and I strongly recomment you trash all of it and replace it with Owens Corning pink fiberglass. You seem to have Alnico woofers from your description which indicates you should re-stuff with 28 oz. of fiberglass. Suggest you buy a roll of R-13 fiberglass at your local HW store. Get the width used for 16 inch on center studs. Cut two lengths off the roll, each 8 feet, 9 inches long and strip off the backing paper. When you ready to re-stuff, break up the FG into large clumps and stuff uniformly throught the box.

Any receiver of 100 or so watts per channel will drive those speakers nicely. Try and find a used one for sale cheap. Sansui, Sony, Yamaha, etc.....

If you find you need replacement rheostats, Vintage AR sells them and I do as well. But try cleaning them first.

Same amount of fiberglass for AR2a w/cloth surround woofers?

The AR-2 series is quite flexible and a lot more forgiving than the 3 series. I powered mine for some 30 years with a Kenwood receiver rated at 35 WPC (actual about 37WPC, both on the old 70's FTC power rating scale), and they were perfectly happy. For the past year or so since the Kenwood bit the dust they've been "temporarily" connected to a 20 WPC Sony compact, and even that has done a reasonably good job of driving them louder than either my wife or I care to sit through before the amp comes anywhere near clipping. Of course, we're a couple of old pharts who don't blare heavy metal, the 1812 Overture or exploding death stars across our living room. YMMV.

Archived