Are these AR 3a's genuine?

BassoRider

post-102580-1216660604.jpgHello, all!

I've been offered a deal on a pair of AR 3a's. This is probably a European model. The current owner says

that they may have been tampered with. To my eyes the bass drivers look strange.

Can anyone here please advice me on if these speakers are original? If not, is this model of bass driver suitable

(sorry, I don't know the make)?

Any help greatly appreciated!

post-102580-1216660394.jpg

Guest rek 2-3-4

Go to the AR-3a restoration item here in The Classic Speaker Pages. There are photos of all the AR-3a drivers at the end of the piece.

The center cap on the woofers looks huge compared to the examples in the resto article. Can you get a look at the back of the drivers?

Go to the AR-3a restoration item here in The Classic Speaker Pages. There are photos of all the AR-3a drivers at the end of the piece.

The center cap on the woofers looks huge compared to the examples in the resto article. Can you get a look at the back of the drivers?

Yes, I've seen that fantastic document!

About the woofers, the seller has no info on them. And I can't remove them without buying the speakers first.

But I understand that replacement are available (but at a cost...)

About the woofers, the seller has no info on them. And I can't remove them without buying the speakers first.

But I understand that replacement are available (but at a cost...)

Hi BassoRider

These are European build AR-3a's. The basses are definitely not AR, even the midrange and tweeter has been replaced (but with original AR drivers). I would not buy them without having a look behind the woofers, to see how much damage/alterations has been made to fit the unoriginal woofers.

Woofers are available, but don't buy the new replacements, find a set of second hand woofers e.g. on ebay, should you decide to go for them.

BRgds Klaus

Archived