Hi all. I Just discovered this place!

Guest DaveThreshold

Guest DaveThreshold

I just found this forum from a link from a post on the AudioKarma site. It is beyond me how I did not stumble across this a long time ago. I first noticed the EPI part. I once owned a pair of the awesome EPI-350's. Then I saw the KLH part. My older brother used to own a pair of KLH-17's because of my influence.

FWIW, I've done a fair share of amateur speaker design with LinearX's Leap 5, and LMS. Right now, I'm listening to a pair of the vintage Infinity RS-5's, - the ones with the 2" polydome midrange. I am continuously astonished at the sound. I got them for $35 at an Estate sale. I'm using a Sumiko Project RM-9 TT with Bluepoint evo-3 cart, a Spectral DMC-6 preamp, with the quietest phono that I've ever heard, an outlaw audio processor, 2 Threshold S-300's bi-amped with my uglier than hell home made sono-subs.

I just LOVE so much of the older gear. (I'm 55) I remember the days of hearing the Sand-filled Wharfedale 60's with In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida drum solo playing at the Allied store. Once when I first heard the A.R. LST's.....that might have been the first time that I heard high end. They sounded like gas......like they weren't there. Oh well, I could go on, but I'll spare you all!

The Kloss-Dahlquist generation were the real earth movers.

Dave

Welcome Dave! :D

I have mentioned Iron Butterfly and sand-filled Wharfedales (although not in the same sentence) to younger friends and even geezers like me and am always met with a blank stare. Iron Butterfly probably deserve to be forgotten, but the Wharfedales were pretty innovative. Sorry to say I never actually heard a pair. Wish I could say the same about Inna-gadda-da-vida ;)

Kent

Guest DaveThreshold
Welcome Dave! :D

I have mentioned Iron Butterfly and sand-filled Wharfedales (although not in the same sentence) to younger friends and even geezers like me and am always met with a blank stare. Iron Butterfly probably deserve to be forgotten, but the Wharfedales were pretty innovative. Sorry to say I never actually heard a pair. Wish I could say the same about Inna-gadda-da-vida ;)

Kent

Hi Kent. Thanks. Yeah Davida was overly long! Compared to Ginger Baker, the solo was just o.k. :D Ex-drummer talking here.

Archived