AR-5 Box Stuffing

Analogman

Ray,

Are the Daytons "directional" like the Auricaps suggest? Any placement suggestion as "AR" inserts the passives in the "negative" side?

My plan was to simply clip the leads and leave the originals in place for reference/originality/completeness.

I'm still kicking myself in the ass for THROWING AWAY the (4) Aetna-Pollacks that came in my "2"s, as well as the (2) potted magnet 10"s.

Just wasn't thinking. There's a long story attached to the woofers though. Obviously they needed new compliance.

I lugged them around with me for about (4) years before I tossed them, then about a month later, these "5"s came into my life.

I hate to admit it, but I also tossed (2) cast frame, cloth surround 10"s with the "3" style magnet/motors that I bought off ePay (one had a loose spider) that wouldn't fit my cabs; another long story.

Ah well, live and learn.

Sure wish I had come here a LONG time ago.

Regards,

Craig

Roy,

Are the Daytons "directional" like the Auricaps suggest? Any placement suggestion as "AR" inserts the passives in the "negative" side?

My plan was to simply clip the leads and leave the originals in place for reference/originality/completeness.

Any insight with regard to this would be appreciated; I've never used Daytons. They should be here today, can't wait! :)

Sorry for the misnomer Ray, uh er....ROY!!! I was right in the middle of a "craigslist" deal with a guy named "Ray" when I was typing the original post.

Regards to all,

Craig

Installed the Daytons last Friday.

Let them burn in overnight to get rid of that "new car smell".

Amazingly good now, even better than before.

I am so pleased with these speakers, I can't tell you.

Sooooooo natural in their presentation.

My only caveat, if you could call it that, is that the mid doesn't take kindly to some modern, highly compressed digital material; a tad "harsh" at times on certain frequencies. Primarily transients.

BUT, I am hearing such a new, and high resolution of detail, I can't fault the speakers for that.

I think the shit was there all along, the "AR"s just give me what I'm giving them, at a level to which I am unaccustomed.

On well recorded Jazz, breath taking.

Man these things are good.

ELEGANT.

Thanks for all your insights,

Craig

Hi Craig,

Sorry for missing your last capacitor question. My answer would have been not to worry about the orientation of the cap leads, but I see you met with success anyway :-).

I agree with you. Recordings are very often the limiting factor (probably more than we would like to believe). It is possible that fiberglass stuffing would have produced a slightly tamer midrange response, as it seems to have a greater attenuating effect (than poly) on the woofer's contribution to the mid frequencies.

Of course the pots should be able to handle most issues.

Glad your 5's are a success!

Roy

Glad your 5's are a success!

Roy

As am I, beyond my expectations after coming off "2"s.

Thank you for you time and consideration.

Craig

P.S.:

I've used Solens and up in various projects over the years. Some so expensive I'm ashamed to admit it (yes, I feel for the "magic" bullet phenomena). Other than some "NOS" stuff from yesteryear, the Daytons have proven themselves to be just as sweet and smooth while doing their job as any I've heard.

Thanks again Roy for reminding me to stay focused even in my advanced years. ;)

Archived