AR2ax / AR3 tweeter dome adhesive repair ?

Guest bottom_feeder

Guest bottom_feeder

So . . . a great friend of mine has given me a nice pair of AR2ax's and they worked great until I took a peek this morning . . .

on one speaker, the tweeter dome has come loose from the main assembly - looks like the adhesive thatr holds the tweeter dome to the frame in four points has weakened, and the top two attachment points let loose . .

the other tweeter seems OK now, butr the adhesive is on the soft side . . .

can I merely reglue at the factory attachment points ? I assume I should center the VC with a tone generator or AA battery to reduce the chance of vC rub . . .

anyone fixed this issue before ?

thanks for any help ! :D

Guest bottom_feeder

well . . . tried something crazy . . . that adhesive on the foiur corners of the dome looked alot like cured 'Gorilla Glue' . . .

SO . . .

I put four small dabs of water on each corner, followed by a small dot of Gorilla Glue . . I used a small rubber concave grommet as a spacer against the dome, then a small wooden box to press the dome 'back home'. I weighted it down with a cast iron frying pan 'cause that's what I had available : )

Now, I'm letting it cure, and I'll keep my fingers crossed that having two of the four adhesion points still good was enough to keep the VC centered - I didn't detect any rubbing when setting it to cure, so I may be OK . . .

we shall see . . .

So . . . a great friend of mine has given me a nice pair of AR2ax's and they worked great until I took a peek this morning . . .

on one speaker, the tweeter dome has come loose from the main assembly - looks like the adhesive thatr holds the tweeter dome to the frame in four points has weakened, and the top two attachment points let loose . .

the other tweeter seems OK now, butr the adhesive is on the soft side . . .

can I merely reglue at the factory attachment points ? I assume I should center the VC with a tone generator or AA battery to reduce the chance of vC rub . . .

anyone fixed this issue before ?

thanks for any help ! :D

Guest bottom_feeder

well . . . glue is dried, and I dare say they look factory . .

course, upon closer inspection, the tweeters arent getting any signal anyway, so I'll need to recap the xover, and clean the pots.

these definitely fill a void in my 'Henry Kloss' collection . . .

veneer is near perfect, both badges are present, and the grilles are perfect.

I've got a few other projects 'in the queue' ahead of these guys, but they'll get tghe love they need SOONER or later : )

I wish you luck, but your fix may not work. As Roy pointed out, those blobs ARE the suspension. Check this thread:

http://www.classicspeakerpages.net/IP.Boar...9&hl=popped

The good news is--you can use the later 2ax tweeters and they'll be fine (wish I'd known that before I sold the woofers and mids). The 3/4" black dome 8 ohm tweeters are drop-in replacements for the orange domes. Anyway, my 2ax's with the "popped cork" tweeters were finally revived and I listen to them daily. If you're interested in my write-up of that project, with the later tweets, here it is:

http://www.classicspeakerpages.net/IP.Boar...?showtopic=4466

You could also try the inexpensive HiVi tweeters from Madisound that have been discussed here, although other members could probably advise you on what, if any, xover modifications would be needed. The CHEAPHi Vi X1R is also a drop-in, may require the addition of a .05mh inductor but no other mods. RoyC is the expert on this and may chime in here, but he said he and others have experimented with the HiVi in the 3a and 2ax with very good results. Unfortunately some of the old drivers are well past their prime.

Good luck!

Kent

Guest JagHond

Good to know this, Kent, thanks for sharing... I'm keeping my fingers crossed, also because my 2axs aren't arrived yet at my home.

I hope all things will go out fine and easy at the same time, but you know well you never know, especially after having those speakers sustained a long trip.

Gianni, a.k.a. JagHond.

Guest bottom_feeder

thanks for that article Kent . . . if my 'macguyver' gorilla glue fix fails (it is stiffer than the original dots) I think I'll go the route of the AR3a tweets just to at least 'keep it in the family' for tweeter . . .

we shall see . . . still a back burner project - - - I'm in line array / tube amp heaven currently :rolleyes:

Archived